1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless running at half speed after reset

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steveconner, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steveconner

steveconner Thread Starter

Hello, im a new member to the forums but i use it a lot for information. I recently bought a linksys network adapter for my desktop and i did not know the passphrase to connect to the wireless. I then reset my router and i got it all working but it is now running at half speed. Yesterday, before my reset, i was running at 159 mb/s. and today, after reset, it is at 72 mb/s. It was my first time reseting the router and i am not very experienced so i may have screwed something up. any help is appreciated

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the exact make and model of the router and the wireless adapter.

3. steveconner

I ended up returning the wireless adapter, im just going to splice the ethernet cable and put a new adapter on that. but the connection is still not what it is supposed to be at.

The make and model of the router is Belkin N Wireless Router
    Model: F5D8236-4 v2

4. JohnWill

Splice the cable? I hope that's not literally!

As far as the wireless speed, did you try basic things like changing router channels?

5. steveconner

Yes, i just tried that. Unfortunately I do not know anything that im looking at. It was set to wireless channel 6, Bandwidth 20 mhz and wireless mode set to some really long number.

I changed it to wireless channel 11, extension 7, left the long number alone, and made it 20/40 MHz.

6. JohnWill

I believe 20/40 mode only works on channel 6.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wonder if that is router dependent? My Belkin router is using Auto channel selection and 20/40 mode; it is currently using channels 1 and 5.

8. JohnWill

Perhaps it's just one of the center channels. I know that for a Linksys 802.11n router here, I refused to work unless I selected channel 6.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice