Wireless Scanner. Can IMPORT from software...can't go from scanner INTO software.:(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carrie640

I have a Brother all in on MFC-J615W and it has been BEAUTIFUL for me. One of the main things I've been doing with it is scanning old pictures for genealogy purposes. I LOVE the fact that I can use the option FROM the scanner that allows you to scan INTO a graphics/photo program all wirelessly (on the scanner, I select SCAN and then "into a graphics program"). It has always shown the "connecting" message in the printer display and then it proceeds to open the scan in Paint (as default). No problems. LOVE IT.

Tonight, I just can't get it to go. It acts like it is trying to connect, but then just goes back out to it's default display (the time) and I have no scan.

HOWEVER....if I were to open up the photo software and IMPORT from the scanner, I have no issues.....and yes, this is wireless, as well.

SO..because I can do one wirelessly and not the other, I wouldn't think it's the network...or am I wrong? It's just bizarre that it would connect one way and not the other. Hmmmmm......

It just takes longer to import than to just scan into a graphics program, I think, so I like to scan INTO the software from the scanner..

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe your software that "listens" for the scanner is not running or maybe you have a firewall blocking access by the scanner.

Did you try turning off/on your printer? If it works from your computer to the scanner, that proves your wireless is ok.

TerryNet

Terry
Rod, those links in your post have nothing to do with the thread. Please remove them. You can have stuff like that in your signature, which will display after you have made a minimum number of posts. Technically those links, as they are now, are spam; however, I have seen your helpful posts and do not want to hit you with an Infraction. Thanks for understanding.

carrie640

Maybe your software that "listens" for the scanner is not running or maybe you have a firewall blocking access by the scanner.
Would that just suddenly stop working? But, of course, I did run some updates a few days ago...so maybe it had something to do with it? Appreciate the help!

Now the BIG question!!! How in the heck to check these things? I am running Comodo and don't see any blocked events other than a P2P thing I've never used. Any idea what I am looking for? I've gone through the installed Brother software (not photo programs, but rather, the settings, controls, etc) and see nothing that shows it isn't connecting.

Here one screen shot (attached) of a portion of the Brother software/configs...I've never touched them since initial installation when it was working.

I really do appreciate the help!!! :)

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes firewalls get corrupted during an update or during a Windows update. I would uninstall Comodo. Looks like they have a cleanup tool also. You can reinstall it after testing.

Look in Task Manager to see if the proper Brother software is running. I don't know a process name to suggest.

carrie640

Sometimes firewalls get corrupted during an update or during a Windows update. I would uninstall Comodo. Looks like they have a cleanup tool also. You can reinstall it after testing.

Look in Task Manager to see if the proper Brother software is running. I don't know a process name to suggest.
I took out Comodo and made sure that every bit of Brother software I had was running in the startup (just in case).....it didn't work. And then....funny enough, I ended up not even being able to IMPORT from a graphics program!! :eek: I was getting REALLY REALLY frustrated, but then I found, on Brother's website, a network setup tool. (y) I didn't think I had anything to lose, so I downloaded it, ran it..and VOILA. EVERYTHING is running again perfectly. Hm. I don't know what happened, but it's working now!! :D

Thanks for your help and suggestions!! :)

TerryNet

Terry
Printers and scanners have always perplexed me. :) Glad you got it working again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online