Wireless security, help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lancerx

Hi guys,

well i just recently installed my home network wireless, i have an acces point (WRT54G) a pc and my laptop, everything is fine with the connection to my laptop so i configured my security as WPA pre shared key and everything is fine, i have access restrictions working fine, now i received my xbox wireless g adaptor but i'm having some serious trouble connecting to my access point with security, i mean, without any security i can connect my xbox to the network but with wpa security i can't, the g adapter have some kind of wep configuration (64bits and 128 bits) wich i have not idea how it works, well my question is, is there a way to configure my access point wireless security only to allow my laptop and my xbox to access my network without wpa? or if there is a way to configure this wep thing wich a i heard that the internet connection slows down with this security.

otoh, i saw in my WRT54G configuration page a link to Security and access restrictions where i see that you can add the mac id of each wireless adapters or ip or ip range but i not luck with this configuration at all.

Thanks!

TerryNet

Terry
WEP is not as good as WPA, but if that's all some of your equipment handles, why not just use 128-bit WEP? It's still a heck of a lot better than MAC address or IP filtering, which only stops casual intruders, not the real crooks.

You configure WEP security the same as WPA, except that you either specify a hex key (I like to use 4 keys) or sometimes a passcode that is translated into the hex key. Sometimes different manufacturers translate the passcode differently, which forces you to use the hex key directly. Be sure to write the key down somewhere 'cause nobody remembers 26 hexadecimal digits!

lancerx

I just don't undserstand something, i tried configuring a 128 bits wep in my access point, then i gave a Passphrase : xxxxxxx then it generates 4 key each of them of 26 characters but when i try to connect with my laptop it won't promp me for a password or anything, i doesn't connect, am i doing something wrong?

Thank you.

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe on your laptop you already have a profile containing a different passphrase/key (so it is trying to connect with a different key). If so, try correcting the profile, or deleting it to force it to prompt you.

lancerx

Thanks, as soon as i get home i'll try that, wep better than mac filters, right? i just take one of the 4 generated keys as a password, right? is it true that wep makes the wirless goes slower?

thank you

To change the profile, here right?

TerryNet

Terry
I have read that those in the know (not me!) can determine valid MAC addresses and set one of those addresses into their adaptor in several minutes or less.

If you're using a passcode or passphrase to generate keys, you just use that like you did the pre-shared key in WPA. If you do have to enter the key(s), and the router generated 4 keys, you have to use all 4 keys in your laptop.

Yes, it looks like on the page you showed you click on linksys (if that's your router's network), then properties, and set up things. You should NOT have "The key is provided for me automatically" checked.

Encryption, whether WPA, WEP or whatever, makes the wireless go slower. Nothing magical--encryption is translation. If you hand me a message written in English and I immediately read it, it takes a certain amount of time. It would take more time if you first translated the message to Spanish, handed it to me, I translated it back to English and then read it. If encryption does slow your wireless too much, I'd suggest trying a less secure selection--if 128-bit 4-keys, downgrade to 1 key, or use 64-bit.

lancerx

Do you think that meybe with mac filters would be good enough as security? just giving 2 macs so permitting the xbox and my laptop only to access the network is good enough.

TerryNet

Terry
I copied the following from somewhere, probably a thread in this forum a couple months back. Of course, you have to consider your risk. If you are in an apartment then lots of people have infinite time in complete privacy to invade your network. If the only way for somebody to intercept your signal is to sit in an illegally parked vehicle in front of a police station, yer pretty safe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WiFi Security Myths.

MAC filtering: This is like handing a security guard a pad of paper with a list of names. Then when someone comes up to the door and wants entry, the security guard looks at the person's name tag and compares it to his list of names and determines whether to open the door or not. Do you see a problem here? All someone needs to do is watch an authorized person go in and forge a name tag with that person’s name. The comparison to a wireless LAN here is that the name tag is the MAC address. The MAC address is just a 12 digit long HEX number that can be viewed in clear text with a sniffer. A sniffer to a hacker is like a hammer to a carpenter except the sniffer is free. Once the MAC address is seen in the clear, it takes about 10 seconds to cut-paste a legitimate MAC address in to the wireless Ethernet adapter settings and the whole scheme is defeated. MAC filtering is absolutely worthless since it is one of the easiest schemes to attack. The shocking thing is that so many large organizations still waste the time to implement these things. The bottom line is, MAC filtering takes the most effort to manage with zero ROI (return on investment) in terms of security gain.

SSID hiding: There is no such thing as "SSID hiding". You're only hiding SSID beckoning on the Access Point. There are 4 other mechanisms that also broadcast the SSID over the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. The 4 mechanisms are; probe requests, probe responses, association requests , and re-association requests. Essentially, you re talking about hiding 1 of 5 SSID broadcast mechanisms. Nothing is hidden and all you ve achieved is cause problems for Wi-Fi roaming when a client jumps from AP to AP. Hidden SSIDs also makes wireless LANs less user friendly. You don't need to take my word for it. Just ask Robert Moskowitz who is the Senior Technical Director of ICSA Labs in his white paper Debunking the myth of SSID hiding.

Disable DHCP: This is much more of waste of time than it is a security break. DHCP allows the automatic assignment of IP addresses and other configurations. Disabling DHCP has zero security value and just wastes time. It would take a hacker about 10 seconds to figure out the IP scheme of any network and simply assign their own IP address. Anyone who tells you that this is a way to secure your wireless LAN doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

See the full article at: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you're really worried about security, you need to setup WPA-PSK, since I assume you don't have a Radius server handy. Use long keys, at least 20 random letters/numbers, and you'll be quite secure, at least this week. :D

lancerx

Is amazing, i can not configure anything at all, not wep not mac filter, what's wrong? with wep i just generate some keys then set the acces point to key #1 then add it my laptop wep configuration and nothing, how can this be so difficult? with mac i just add the macs of the laptop and the xbox then enable and save configuration and nothng, wth?

TerryNet

Terry
What do you mean "generate some keys then set the acces point to key #1"?

lancerx

that's ok, i found out that i had to add not only the xbox wireless g adaptor mac, also the xbox nic mac address also, so now is fully wireless connected, thanks at all for your help, is really appreciated

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online