1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Security questions

Discussion in 'General Security' started by onlineguy, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onlineguy

onlineguy Thread Starter

Hi, I have a few questions about wireless security. My Wi-fi router was always set to WEP and I was informed that I should use WPA2-AES as apparently there is software available to easily crack WEP.

Now if someone had decided to crack into my network, would they have been able to see my internet traffic just as easily? I had network discovery off - would it have made a difference? I am very concerned about someone logging my online activity as I bank and shop online, not to mention other privacy issues. Wouldn't someone cracking a home network more likely want the bandwith than the information? (trying to put my mind at ease...)

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Use WPA2-AES and don't worry anymore. Your wireless adapter in your PC must support this type of encryption though.

Yes if someone does get in, they can do anything their skill set allows them to do.

Chances of anyone using software to crack your wireless encryption (of any kind) is very very low.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If someone cracked your WEP key, then they can see your network traffic across the air. It is fairly easy to crack WEP, 10 mins is all it takes, or so I've read. However, when you are doing online banking or shopping, it is most likely that you are using SSL encryption,( the browser displays a lock symbol. ), so it is not easy to eavesdrop on the traffic. However, when that SSL is not being used, like when you use Hotmail, then they can view the traffic.

Different routers use slightly different terminology, so I guess 'network discovery' means broadcasting your router name. Not broadcasting the name only hides the presence of your router from beginner hackers. Someone with the proper software can still see the traffic flowing thru the air when you are using the network.

Hackers would hack your network for many reasons. Nowadays, they'd likely go for your computers, install keyloggers and try to get your banking IDs and passwords. They can sell those on the blackmarket, but they can't sell bandwidth :)

4. alexcarlson

alexcarlson

Hi,
    Use WPA2-AES. Your wireless adapter in your PC must support this.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice