1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Wireless security types do not match', help please!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Isobobel, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Isobobel

Isobobel Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
    So my problem is on an ASUS Windows 8 laptop. My laptop does not detect my wireless network, no matter how close it is to the router. I have connected it with an ethernet cable which works, but once disconnected, the laptop still does not detect my network. It has no problem detecting any other networks and other devices can connect without a problem. I troubleshooted the problem, which said that 'wireless security types do not match'. I'm not very wise about this stuff so I have no idea how to solve the problem and have found nothing online so far which helps.
    Basically, how can I get my wireless security types to match?
    Thank you very much in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you clarify - does not detect - see the wireless at all
    if so , then it maybe your PC is set to use channels 1-11 which is all thats available in North America
    and the router is broadcasting on 12-13 - which is rest of world
    for completeness Only Japan can use 14

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How was 'wireless security types do not match' determined when the network is not detected? :confused:

4. renegade600

renegade600

sounds like you need to check your wireless security setting on the laptop. you are using one in the router but another on the laptop. for example, you may have wpa on one and wpa2 personal on another. both the router and the laptop wireless security must match.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice