1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless security?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sailing2you, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sailing2you

sailing2you Thread Starter

I'm ready to network a new laptop, and never having done so before, I'm curious about the security issue. Is one brand of router more secure than another. What are my options, and what should I be aware of?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The most secure connection currently will be WPA, make sure the equipment you buy supports that, and you should be fine.

3. sailing2you

sailing2you Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Will I experience any problems linking the laptop with xp pro, and the desktop with 98se?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only wild card is W98 for wireless WPA encryption. If that one is wired, it's obviously not an issue. If you're connecting it wirelessly, make sure the drivers for the wireless adapter support WPA for W98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice