1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jin29_neci, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jin29_neci

jin29_neci Thread Starter

;) guys its me agian any suggestions regarding wireless networks.
    Im planning to setup a wireless office inside my house any recommendation regarding the hardware specs of the wireless network.
    Any recommendation in router, nic card, hub, (all wireless)
    any documentation in wireless setup so i can setup a wireless with a guide documentation im not really that experienced in wireless network...
    Im planning to use Win 2000 or Linux. Any suggestions guys.
    post pls. Im really excited because this will the first time to seup a wireless network. :p

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

3. Jerold

Jerold

I am running a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router with D-Link Wireless PC Cards in 2 laptops. With a little research, the installation is relatively easy and there are lots of info on the web for encryption. I have been posting a few questions this week regarding my signal dropping and just by chance, I was reading thru other posts and I think I fixed it by changing the channel signal that my router works on.

I run XP Pro and Win98. I use a cable modem thru my cable provider. When I first installed the setup, I went thru the install as instructed and it seemed pretty complicated, but after reinstalling my system recently everything actually plugged and played since it was already set up before.

The only thing that takes getting familiar with is the encryption for security. It is pretty easy. Either use WEP with encryption keys or WPA with Pre-Shared Keys. WEP encryption keys is a string of letters and numbers that are generated from a passphrase (password) that you think up type in and the router software converts into that string for you that you have to type into your PC card utilities to grant access to the wireless router. WPA is something new that I just changed over to and is supposed to be stronger and with that you just type in a passphrase to grant the access in. you just have to make sure that the setup on the router is the same as on the PC cards or else no connection. There are a lot of screens to get thru and you just have to be thorough. There are other security things like MAC filters and firewalls also.

When I was researching wireless for my use, I was told that unless you have good encryption and security, then your data.network is wide open for the world to see if you get hacked into.

This is my first wireless system and I am pretty happy with it. The router cost me only about $79, the pc cards were like $54 and $38 (based on the Version type B or G) all at amazon.com.. The Wireless G router can work with both G and B type pc cards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice