1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless sharing on broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ahhoe, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I have two computers, desktop A and desktop B. Both running winxp pro. They are connected to a linksys BEFSR41 broadband router, running on dhcp. So the ip address is e.g 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2.

I have another compaq laptop with a wireless pcmcia card and another ibook with an airport card. I want to have wireless connection to the internet. The question is:

1) Can i buy a usb wireless adapter and connect it to one of my desktop A/B so that both my laptop can surf the web thru my desktop's PC connection?

2) Becos my desktop is getting a private ip address, will there be problem connection to the internet for my laptop?

3) Is there a website there that shows(preferably with pics) on the configuration on the winxp machine to enable the use of the usb adapter?

Thank you

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

Get an Access point for your router. Set it up by reading the manual. Then get wireless cards for both your laptops if they already don't come built in.

3. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

tats you some of my frem recommend me to do. Thankx...

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

It's the best route to take, and in my opinion the cheapest. Unless you want to plug your laptaps physically into the router with a cat5 wire then buy network card for it, which are cheaper than the wireless cards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice