1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless signal overtaken?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jerold, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I've posted things relating to my wireless signal dropping, but I noticed something that I don't know if it can be done , but seems the reason why my signal keeps dropping off.

I run a Linksys wrt54g wireless router with D-Link PC wireless cards. Lately, my wireless signal has been dropping off and I have tried everything to reinstate it...updating the software, changing the encryption from WEP to WPA and resetting the router. I have been getting a signal from another router in the area that is called default and my previous post said that someone has a wireless that is not secure. I've installed network stumbler to scan for other signals and it came up with my wireless and the default.

It says that the default vendor is a D-Link router. Mine is a Linksys.
    Since my PC cards are D-Links, can the other guys D-Link wireless router overtake my Linksys signal? How can I set up my network to only look at my linksys router signal. I have been working at home this week and I just noticed that at 9am this morning my signal dropped after being up all night. I am assuming that whoever is "default" got on at 9am and is interfering with my signal. I have never had this problem before this week and the default signal was never there til this week also. I don't know if it is a neighbor or a local business in this area that is causing me problems.

I am getting pretty frustrated since I do a lot on emailing and online stuff for work.

2. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I am deciding to let WINDOWS manage my wireless connection instead of D-Link's utility. The only thing that I can't configure is the WPA encryption. I had to revert back to my WEP encryption settings because WPA is not an aoption in the drop down list in the WINDOWS encryption configuration. I tried to install the XP patch for WPA, but since I already have SP2, it must already be updated.

Somehow, I have my wireless up, but it may go down for reasons I still don't know why. I read through the router's manual and it stated that if I am using XP, then I don't need to use my PC wireless card's config utility to manage my connection...just use Windows to manage it.

Does anyone know how I can configure (thru XP ) my WPA encryption settings? Like I said, it doesn't have the WPA as an option...only WEP or disable. Lastly, OPEN or SHARED auth. mode?

THanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice