1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless speeds vary form 2 mbps to 50 mbps, don't think it's hardware.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Punker1234, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Punker1234

Punker1234 Thread Starter

Hey everyone.

Thanks for looking, need a little help here.

I can't figure out what is going on with my desktop. It's usually connected via a USB wireless dongle and used to take full advantage of my 50 mbps connection. Now, It varies all over the place from 2 mpbs up to 50. I first thought it was the dongle so I replaced that with a PCI-e adapter that can handle 450 mbps. However, that has not seemed to fixed the issue.

I thought it was the router. Reset that. Thought it was the modem. Reset that. However, my 5 year old laptop runs at 50 mbps all day long. I've used multiple websites to test the connection and I ensured to same sites for both the laptop and desktop. So the only thing that's left is software on my computer right? Driver issue? I just installed fresh drivers for this adapter and still no go.

Although I've enjoyed building and being a PC junkie for the last 25 years, networking it just not my specialty. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. hgh918

hgh918

Hi punker..

Have you ran malware/antivirus scans?

Do you by chance have any internet optimizers installed on your computer, such as AMD Quick Stream? Programs such as this are often included in your eqpt's default programs, and the act as a way to regulate/limit your bandwith access based on demand/need. Can come in handy if you have many devices/programs on your network, and need to prioritize things..can also be kind of irritating though if you don't need these default limitations.

Also ironically, if you do have an antivirus program installed, many times this has been known to actually slow down a connection. Maybe try temporarily uninstalling it and test if that works?

Let me know if any of these work or not, good luck! :)

3. Punker1234

HI Hgh.

I have not run any malware scans, are their any that you would recommend? Additionally, I did not have any anti-virus and thought maybe that was the issue. So I've recently installed Bitdefender free. But the problem did persist before installing the anti-virus.

I don't have any internet optimizers at all. I'm usually very good and figuring these sorts of things out but a complete mystery.

4. hgh918

hgh918

When I had this issue, turned out it was viruses/malware that had taken over my pc. I used techspot.com. It's kinda a lengthy process, but well worth it if you're positive of infection. malwarebytes is a very reliable scanner, and can at least let you know if there is something present. And maybe go into your program manager, see if anything is there that you are unfamiliar with?

5. hgh918

hgh918

Also, do you have multiple browsers installed? If you do..are speed issues present on all browsers?

6. Punker1234

Hi HGH.

Just ran Malwarebytes and it did discover a few items and they we're removed. I do have Firefox and Chrome and both have those issues. Steam also shows similar issues when conducting downloads.

After running Malwarebytes the issue is still there. The other part that is odd is I haven't adjusted any settings on just about anything. I completely thought it was a hardware issue, but doesn't seem so.

7. hgh918

hgh918

So, one easy way to find out if it is in fact an issue w/ some software you have, or the pc itself, is to create another profile on the pc if possible, or even log in as guest, and see if the issue persists w/ an empty profile.

And another fairly simple thing to check..try going to your network/sharing center --> under "view active networks," select your listed Connection --> ensure the speed category on your adapter isn't somehow set lower than it should be.

And one other thing I meant to ask early on..have you ever hardwired this pc to your modem and checked it that way?

8. Punker1234

Hi HGH.

I tried using a guest setting and still the same results. I did check my network adapter, and the slowest one was running at 150, and the fastest at 450. Either should be capable of 50 mbps as I did it before. Lastly, I've now noticed my internet icon is constantly looking like so:[​IMG] Even if I disconnect and reconnect, restart, still shows that. The internet is connected to my network and working, but shows that.

Something is seriously odd here. I will try a direct connection to the router shortly.

9. hgh918

hgh918

Well it's odd your online at all, generally this icon means you are not connected, but there are connections available. Try going to your network and sharing center, and "forget" your wireless network that you seem to be connected to, then reconnect.

And when you said there were two different speeds available on your adapter, why is this so..? What are they both tied to? Maybe try eliminating all but one connection type

10. Punker1234

Thanks for your help and suggestions HGH, I really appreciated it. I have tried to remove that network and have, but still exhibits the same problem. Additionally, I did a direct connection to the router and still the same speed issue.

I had 2 adapters because I thought one was broken, so i ordered a PCI. Currently, the USB adapter isn't even connected and is removed but I still experience the slowdowns. So both adapters exhibited slow speeds.

11. hgh918

hgh918

I would encourage you to disable the USB adapter, so that the PCI is the only one enabled on your pc. Same for any local area connections on the adapter settings..if the LAN got enabled in the process of switching adapters, that could very well cause issues w/ connection..confuse the eqpt, so to speak.

12. Punker1234

Hi HGH.

A new discovery. I actually tried connecting the PC to my LAN over power adapter, and that had a slow result. I thought to drag a large cable out and connected the computer from my desktop to the router using an actual cable. Boom, full speed. So something with my wireless is not correct. I think my LAN over power adapter may just be slow.

I have already disabled the USB adapter. I did this when I installed the new PCI adapter. Still no go.

13. hgh918

hgh918

If you run ipconfig, do you have any tunnel adapters present when using the wireless?

14. Punker1234

I see 1 wireless, 1 ethernet, and 2 tunnel adapters. The tunnel adapters are labeled "Tunnel Adapter isatap. (insert 30 random characters)" that says media disconnected.

The 2nd says "Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:" and has an pv6 address along with a link-local ipv6 address

15. Punker1234

I was able to fix the icon issue. I simply uninstalled the adapter and rebooted. It seems to have fixed that. But the speeds are still way off.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice