1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Stuck On "Acquiring network address", setting up static IP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrsofia, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrsofia

mrsofia Thread Starter

I have an old Sony Vaio (VGN S4HP, to be precise), recently reinstalled XP and now I cannot get to connect to my wireless router network. Tried practically everything proposed on older threads but nothing worked. I may be wrong, but I believe the problem was present before the reinstall so the local techie had to set up a static IP to connect to the router. How do I go about doing this myself? I don't have my router's manual.

2. dai

dai

try setting it to auto detect

make and model of the router would be handy

3. mrsofia

mrsofia Thread Starter

what do you mean by auto detect, the "connect even if network is not broadcasting" option?

router is an edimax BR-6204Wg

4. dai

dai

5. mrsofia

mrsofia Thread Starter

thanks, somehow it didn't occur to me to get the manual online

I accessed the router and can see my LAN's IP and subnet mask, but no default gateway/DNS which I need to set up a static IP connection on the vaio? Sorry if this sounds silly, it's mostly greek to me.

6. dai

dai

router’s default IP address: “192.168.2.1

if you follow the guide step by step you should have no problems

7. Bastoid

Bastoid

I had a similar problem which I just fixed. I tried a few things but the answer was simple in the end.

1. Lower RH side of XP interface double click the wireless icon to bring up the 'Wireless Netwrok Connection Status' Box.
    2. Click 'View Wireless Networks'
    3. In related tasks choose the starred Icon 'Change the order of preferred networks'
    4. Highlight your network and press the remove button.
    5. Now press the 'View Wireless Networks' button and choose yours, and re-enter the passphrase.
    6. That's all I did. Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice