1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless suddenly stopped working on my laptop.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AnthonyLordi, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnthonyLordi

AnthonyLordi Thread Starter

I have a Compaq 6715B, and yesterday while I was browsing the web, my wireless stopped working, it gave me a notification in the "Safely Remove Hardware" thing near the clock, "The blah blah blah Network adapter can now be safely removed".
    The wireless hasn't been working ever since.
    The troubleshooting that I've done so far are:
    Make sure the wireless button on the computer is enabled, it will not enable, it is a "touch" button, and it lights up blue when it's working, it won't even respond to my touch, the other buttons next to it do work. So that's not helping at all.
    I have two of the exact same laptop, I switched the wireless card that's installed INSIDE the laptop, not a wireless card that just slides in the side, one that's under the bottom panel, I swapped them, uninstalled the driver, and connected via. ethernet to reinstall the drivers. No dice.
    It's not showing up in the device manager or anything..

[edit] I'm running Windows XP Professional, SP3

I'm lost.

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. AnthonyLordi

I'm not quite sure why this was moved to networking, because it's not network related, it's pretty much hardware related.

3. altjx

altjx

I would definitely check device manager to see if you could roll back the driver (if possible). Sometimes, windows update will update drivers and cause more problems than it fixes.

4. AnthonyLordi

Nothing for the wireless device shows in the device manager, as I previously stated, and no updates were recently installed. :/
    It works fine for a USB wireless adapter, which I would expect it to since it's a completely different thing.

5. vicks

vicks

6. AnthonyLordi

7. vicks

vicks

Look in device manager, to be sure. Does it show there?
    You mentioned that you removed the wireless card from another computer, Does the original one from this computer work in the other computer? If it does, perhaps the switch has gone bad........
    Vicks

8. AnthonyLordi

Positive it's not there. :(
    I'm not sure, the other computer doesn't power on, it was an old one that I replaced with this "newer" one, but they're exactly the same, and use the same wireless card. What "switch" are you talking about? I know the bare minimum about laptop hardware, compared to a desktop.

Thanks.

9. AnthonyLordi

I downloaded an "Advanced Device Manager", and it shows up in there, it also shows the service as being "Stopped" and I'm unable to start it again.

I have screenshots of each device manager attached to this reply.

Attached Files:

10. vicks

vicks

The Broadcom Ethernet adapter, is used when you are connected to a router via an ethernet cable.
    Remove your USB wireless adapter, open device manager, if the Unknown device still shows there, right click on it> , select properties,>select remove. Immediately reboot the computer and let Windows find and reinstall. Below are links to the manual for your computer. Page 10/11 show where the switch is located.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01109169/c01109169.pdf
    Now here is the link to using the wireless on your computer...

I hope these are of help to you.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Vicks

11. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Switch would be the "touch" botton that turns the wireless on/off.

What is the make/model of the wireless card?
    Actually pull the card and see what is on it. Mfg and model. Supposed to be an Intel Pro, but some that were downgraded to XP had a Broadcon.
    If it is Broadcom, use the Broadcom drivers (XP only). If Intel Pro, try the HP WWLAN drivers.

Something you might try while you have the card out.
    Start up the the computer, let it completely boot, then using wired connection get the driver down load.
    Turn off the computer.
    Put the wireless card back. Make sure the card and antenna leads are seated.
    Turn on the computer and let it detect new hardware.
    DON"T let it auto load drivers, select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
    Select Don't search and click Next.
    Click Have Disk
    Browse to the Folder containing the drivers. selct the .exe or .inf file and click OK to load the drivers.

12. AnthonyLordi

I'm not too sure, this is all of the information listed on the chip.
    MAC: XXXXXXXXXX
    CT: XXXXXXXXXX
    some random numbers (BCM94321MCP1 P3)
    AS#: 416371-001
    SPS#: 441530-001
    Rev 0A
    -on the reverse side-
    Rev: 1.00
    Wireless
    BCM94321MC
    WPEB-103AG V00-A 3AD7DBG

I'm currently working on the driver thing you suggested. I'll post back with results.

This did not work, whatever the "unknown" device is, it will not install the driver.

13. AnthonyLordi

No luck on the driver installation. I'm just going to attempt to reformat and maybe something will go right along the way.

Went from XP to W7 (since W7 is better with hardware/drivers from the get-go) and it's still not detecting the wireless device. :/

14. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Did a refresh before posting again. Then a quick search for thise numbers.

BCM94321MCP1 P3 says it is the model number for a Broadcom card.

AS#: 416371-001
    SPS#: 441530-001
    HP numbers for that Broadcom model.

15. AnthonyLordi

Nothing has worked so far, is there something that could have gone bad, other than the switch/button + the wireless card?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011869