1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless switch not working! Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blackmesa, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

I have a 2 year old Sony Vaio laptop, running Windows XP Pro with built in wi-fi, which up until last night was working perfectly.
    The problem is when I went to move the slider switch to 'On' this morning, the green light failed to come on, and i can't connect to the network. The slider feels a little loose too.
    Also, when I went to shut down last night (Well, i put it into 'hibernation' mode...which means it boots up quicker), it just 'hung' saying what it was going to do....i accidentally closed the lid, then opened it back up.....i tried to reboot, but it wasn't having it, so i took out the battery hoping that would help....which it did, then i booted back up......i think this may be the reason i can't connect.......i've switched off and put back on all my router plugs etc, but to no avail.i can still connect to my desktop ok.
    So, any ideas? What went wrong and can it be fixed? is it a loose wire inside?
    Any help appreciated guys!
    Thanks!!!

Rob

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Thanks John! I will post the results in a short while.....
    Rob :)

4. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Hi John,

Here is a pasting of the script:
    Hope you can help!
    Thanks very much...

Rob :)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\RobE>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : blackmesa
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-4A-21-D7-2B

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-35-B2-F7-32

C:\Documents and Settings\RobE>

5. JohnWill

First off, try connecting it with a cable to see if that works.

Next, try this repair:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Will try this when i return from work later and post results....thnks again John!

Rob

7. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Hi John,

I have connected the cable, and it worked! I can connect to the internet.
    However, when I put the slider switch to 'On', the green light still didn't come on.
    Also, I have the option of Bluetooth in conjunction with WLAN, and it isn't working either!
    Will I still have to put in that code you suggested to have it running as normal? (ie. wirelessly)
    I spoke to a friend at work today, and he suggested I might need to replace the module (which is located in a compartment under the laptop)

Thanx..

Rob

8. JohnWill

Well, the BT has nothing to do with standard 802.11b/g routers, so that's not an issue.

You mentioned the slider "felt a little loose". It could be the switch is bad, the wireless module is bad, or some other issue like drivers. It probably couldn't hurt to reload the wireless drivers, and the stack repair I posted won't hurt anything either.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that Blackmesa was saying that the Bluetooth, which is controlled by the same laptop switch as the wireless adapter, is also not turning on. And that certainly supports "It could be the switch is bad."

I don't know where the switch is located, but if it is on the outside of the case it's in harm's way.

10. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Ok John, i've tried updating the drivers in the device manager....it said it couldn't find anything better than the ones already installed...do u think I need to uninstall them completely, then reinstall?
    In the meantime, i'm going to have a look at the module and then try the stack repair you suggested....
    cheers

Rob
    ps. i would buy you a drink for ur advice if u weren't so far away! :)

11. JohnWill

You can use Paypal. :D Just kidding, the advice here is free. Of course, some would say you get what you pay for. ;)

I didn't realize the switch controls both options, but if so, Terry is probably right. That moves it up the suspect list.

12. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Terry....yes, thats what i meant! The switch is on the outside....

rob

13. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Paypal....LOL!!! Well, I take my hat off to u guys...givin up ur time like this...
    Once the switch is on, you can have both WLAN or BT enabled, but it says one or both may become unstable when in use...I usually have WLAN on as default, then disable when i want to use BT....common to have both with some Vaios (well, here in the UK anyway)
    Will this mean it'll have to be opened up or worse still, sent to Sony repair???!! lol ( which it is out of warranty, so gonna cost a bomb!)
    If it is the switch, is it repairable? As i don't know the route between that and the module...

rob

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That friend at work may know more about repairing or replacing the switch. If there is a compartment on the bottom next to the switch, maybe it is accessible. Or maybe from the outside you can do something to "short out" the switch (get it to an always on state). Maybe you and/or friend can do something, or maybe there is a good repair shop in the area.

Depending on the age of the laptop and how you use it you may want to spend the money to get it repaired, and I'm not trying to recommend what you do, but just making sure that you are aware of alternatives. For wireless you could buy a PCMCIA card or a not-quite-as-good USB adapter. Not as convenient as the built-in, but sure more easily replaced. And there's probably a similar replacement for the Bluetooth.

15. JohnWill

You can repair/replace components like the switch. I've replaced a number of power jacks, and several USB port connectors as well on laptops. The switch may simply need to be re-soldered, difficult to know without taking the machine apart.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice