Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless to Ethernet LAN

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pushieb 
#1 ·
This is, perhaps, an extremely silly question, easy to answer as the Techguy says! I have been using a desktop with Ethernet LAN (Landline) for years. Now, I have a Dell Studio 15 Laptop with Wireless output signal. My question is, How do I connect the two, so that I can use the Laptop too through my land-line broadband connection? Do I use just a wireless router in between? Any type of Wireless Router, or, any specific type? Do I need to change anything in my desktop LAN setup?:eek:

#2 ·
I'm not clear what exactly you mean by "Ethernet LAN (Landline) ". :confused:

To start with, we need to understand exactly how your existing desktop connect to your broadband connection - eg is it connected to a LAN, and if so how is that LAN connected to the broadband, or does it have a modem (USB?) connected to the broadband etc.

#4 ·
The STERLITE, SAM300AX is a modem/router and has an Ethernet connection for the computer or other devices. I'd use a standard router and configure it as below.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.