1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless USB adapter fails to load in my Win 7 Pro, but works fine in XP mode.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TechSupNewbie, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSupNewbie

TechSupNewbie Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Linksys AE1000 Wireless USB adapter and attempted to install it in my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system with no luck. Message stated: Disable or turn off the other wireless connection manager, but I'm using only windows to manage wireless connections. The adapter does show in Network Connections but won't enable even though it says it does. I updated to the latest Linksys driver but still no luck. Windows Diagnostic came back with a response that the driver may not be working so I tried it in a old XP notebook and it worked. Then I tested it in the same Windows 7 system in XP mode and it worked just fine again. So, I finally tested it in another Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system and that worked fine. So, I don't know why it fails on my system??

The relevant SysInfo is:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6135 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 430796 MB, Free - 216037 MB; D: Total - 999998 MB, Free - 374428 MB; E: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 1206135 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1843212 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., SABERTOOTH X58, Rev 1.xx, 107945980003978
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

PS I noticed the Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport is acting the same way, it shows in Network connections but fails to enable??

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears?? Thanks in advance.

2. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG!
    If you have your built in wireless adapter turned on, turn it off. Linksys will use their own controls
    When my wifi signal is low with the builtin one (Win 7) (I am in a motorhome and in RV parks with wifi), I use a netgear wireless adapater that can be placed in a spot where the signal is stronger.and have to disable the built in one....
    Vicks

3. TechSupNewbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am only running one adapter at a time. I own, an Airlink wireless USB that works in 2.4 Ghz but I got this in hopes of connecting at 5 Ghz. in the future to avoid some interference I occasionally encounter? When I try this one I disable and disconnect the Airlink! Do I need to completely uninstall the Airlink?

4. vicks

vicks

As long as you connect only one at a time, there should not be a conflict.
    Beyond this, I don't have any idea...
    GOOD LUCK
    VIcks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "Airlink wireless USB" is actually an Airlink101 wireless adapter you probably have an Airlink101 wireless utility running. In light of "Message stated: Disable or turn off the other wireless connection manager" if that is the case I suggest to try stopping the Airlink101 utility.

6. TechSupNewbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm only using Windows to manage the wireless. Is there some way to reinstall the networking component of Windows, otherwise I'll most likely end up reinstalling on a different drive to test if a fresh system encounters the same issue?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not questioning what you are using. In light of that error message I am questioning what you have (knowingly or unknowingly) running.

My Airlink101 USB wireless adapter is not connected. I am using my integrated wireless adapter and only using the Windows 7 WLAN Autoconfig. But I look in Task Manager to see what is running and find ... well look at my attachment.

I am experiencing no difficulty, but if I got the message that you reported I would be stopping the Airlink101 utility.

Attached Files:

8. TechSupNewbie

I appreciate the detail of your thinking, it may be helpful down the line, but perhaps I should have been more specific in mentioning, I reviewed every entry using "Autoruns" and have since looked through Task mgr. but no Airlink utilities are running. Does every service, ie WLAN AutoConfig, have a corresponding process, because I don't see any process relating to Windows Wireless Manager, yet that is what I'm using??

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!