1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless usb questions and other network issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trixster90, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trixster90

trixster90 Thread Starter

let me just say im a computer novice so please help me step by step if possible : )

heres my situation:

i have a dell pc with a netgear wireless router downstairs and a playstation 3 upstairs.i have set up the ps3 and i can now go online.my problem is i have just got a packard bell pc second hand from a friend and i want to know how do i get internet working wirelessly on the new computer using downstairs wireless router?

im guessing that i dont have something called a wireless NIC
    as when i follow Start>control panel>network connections i cant see anything that deals 'wireless network connections'

can i still connect with my computer downstairs so i can use the internet?

i saw on amazon and other sites that you can buy things called wireless usb sticks. do these work like wireless NIC?

how do they work... do they recieve the wireless signal from the downstairs computer and allow me to acess the internet upstairs?

if so which one would you recommend...

:)

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Yep, a wireless USB adapters are network adapters and can provide wireless networking capability to a PC.

Peace...

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if you've got a fry's nearby, i got an airlink101 usb adapter to go along with a pcmcia card for the laptop by the same mfg and the usb is faster, both are 11g.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, USB is my last choice for networking. Too many conflicts and driver clashes with USB and other devices. I'd pick any other interface over USB given the chance.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

yeah if you're using a usb printer, mouse, web cam, ext hard drive, .............ad nauseum.

not everyone has every usb idevice known to man running at the same time.

i've had nothing but good luck/performance out out usb wireless and no wires and easaily xferrable to other machines.

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I've had both good and bad experiences with USB wireless adapters. If you get the right adapter, it can work well. If you get the wrong one, you will curse at it like there's no tomorrow :)

Peace...

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My experience mirrors tomdkat, I've also had USB adapters that work fine in one machine and have driver conflicts in another. Also, the other USB devices don't have to be running to cause conflicts, just have their drivers loaded. Printers seem to be a big offender, probably because they're regularly used and almost always turned on and ready.

I've worked on 100's of systems of all descriptions, and I'll stand by my experience base regarding USB vs. PCI adapters. A very small sample doesn't always tell the true story.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice