1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless vendor compatibility

Discussion in 'Networking' started by weeGeordie, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

Are there compatibility concerns when mixing vendors in a wireless network?

I have a Belkin Wireless G router and a Belking PCI wireless NIC. I might need a range extender but I can't find any Belkin extenders in my area. Can I mix in a Linksys, D-Link, or?? extenders or should I consider buying a new router, NIC and extender from the same manufacturer?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If your talking about the standalone units not attached directly to the wireless router be very careful with range extenders as they usually have problems even functioning right how they are designed to. Johnwill mentioned a hawkings one that he has had luck with but I had terrible luck with it.

Personally if you can run a cable from the wireless router to a secondary WAP that would be the ideal way to do it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

StumpedTechy, which exact model of Hawking equipment are you talking about?

]I'd much rather use hi-gain antennas or a signal amplifier than a range extender. Note that the "range extender" is also a "performance reducer" for wireless networks, since there is an extra store and forward link, not to mention yet another transaction competing for the bandwidth on your channel.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The one you have mentioned in the past was - HWUR54G

5. Crusnik

Crusnik

I'm mixing d-link and Netgear currently. D-link router, d-link PCI card, netgear PCI card. I can safely say the netgear has almost more trouble communicating with the router, and even gives slower speeds.

If I could do it all over again... I'd buy linksys everything =p

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I don't favor that approach, so if I did mention that, it was in a fit of stupidity. ;) I like to increase the signal strength at the source and the destination, first with hi-gain antennas, then with signal boosters. No configuration or performance issues, and it's much easier to get working.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah you never mentioned you favor it. You mentioned that if you had to use one that is one that you know had worked okay.

You and I have similar recommendations as to boosting connectivitiy on the 2 ends.

8. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

Does it make any difference whether I put higain antennas on the router or the PC? I'm thinking not but you know what they say about the only dumb question. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice