1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Vista Problems...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by apinkpony, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

For a long time, I had no problem with my wireless network. Now, I have problems.

My computer never shows me any networks anymore. It will connect to networks it recognizes... sometimes. Like if I am at home, it will sometimes connect to my parent's wireless network. In class, it will sometimes connect to the schools network. It never will show me networks to connect to though.

I got a linksys WRT54G for my dorm room, so that I could connect both my wii and my computer wirelessly to the schools network (no wireless in our dorm buildings). Set it up. The wii is perfectly connected, but the laptop will not recognize the new network. It is connected to the router currently with an ethernet cable.

Talked to some guys at linksys, made sure it was not the router. We discovered in my device manager, that along with my wireless adapter and ethernet adapter, there were 11 "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter"s all that were "not working properly".

Did a little research, dug up that this could be my problem. There was no driver update for them. Dug around a little more. Found a suggestion to uninstall them all, and then reinstall just one.

Did that. It installed perfectly. But... still no good on the wireless internet. In my dorm room, I used to be able to "see" somewhere between 6-10 different wireless networks that have been set up by students. Plus our schools wireless network (these are all either secure, or very low bars). I cannot see any of them anymore... especially not my own, which is a maximum of 2 feet away from my computer.

Your expertise would be greatly appriecate in this situation.

P.S. I am a computer science student, so someday, I will be able to help future generations of people with no idea how to operate a computer. :-D I will pay my dues to you all.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Best to uninstall any and all 6TO4 adapters--they sometimes cause problems.

Make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter (from the PC manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated), use Device Manager to uninstall the adapter, restart and reinstall the adapter.

The above is mostly to fix a possible corrupted driver. If you still have the problem after doing this I'm guessing that the adapter is failing. Your symptoms don't indicate that the following will help, but it will not hurt ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Yeah. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times. No luck. I uninstalled the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, but when I select "view hidden devices" it shows me a bunch of "6to4 Adapter"s also. Should I uninstall those as well? Will it help me any?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice