1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless VPN with PC?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by dzonko, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dzonko

dzonko Thread Starter

I'm new to Mac (~2 months ago) and trying to figure out if I can set up a wireless VPN directly between a MacBook Pro and a laptop running WinXP2 - i.e., without a router or any such thing. Is this possible and if so can you tell me how? Thanks much.

2. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

Now why would you want to do a VPN connection between the two? I don't know MACs really but are these computers on the same network? Would you be away from home trying to access one of the two laptops?

I have my server at home running VPN, I use this to VPN to my house to retrieve files I need to present to people if I forget my thumb drive.

Maybe with what you're trying to do, there is a different & easier way?

Thanks,
    Synt4x

3. dzonko

dzonko Thread Starter

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. There is no network. There's one dialup connection they share. (I'm in South Africa.) All I want is for the two computers to be able to communicate with each other without having to buy additional hardware - basically just to be able to browse and share on the fly. I did seem to manage to connect them once (although I can't remember now how I did it) but couldn't figure out how to actually *do* anything via the connection.

4. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

Well you were referencing to something that you don't need to use.

So, make a folder in your C drive or where ever you have your OS installed. Let's call the folder "Share". Right click on the newly created folder and go to properties. Select the Sharing TAB and make sure you have "Share this folder" checked. Share name should just be Share for now. Then go down to permissions and give the Everyone group Change & Read permissions.

Now that I have told you how to share a folder on your windows machine, read the site given below and tell me if you have trouble following it. I can walk you through it but try this on your own. Troubleshoot if you can't figure it out, like using google or bling. (USE GOOGLE)
    http://macs.about.com/od/macwindows/ss/sharemacfilesxp.htm

I will be here to help until resolved, just reply and let me know what you need.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to set up an ad-hoc network between the two computers using their wireless network adapters. I don't see anything in Synt4xError's post that describes how to set that up. Those instructions seem to already assume you have the network configured.

I couldn't find a tutorial for setting up that type of network with a Mac and a Windows computer. It might take some more searching.

6. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

Well I don't know MACs, and from how he described his issue it didn't seem like he needed VPN. So I gave my opinion and also a link that will help him share files between MAC and XP. I told him how to set up a shared folder.

Honestly I am only PC, but thought I could help :)

I never setup ad-hoc, but maybe you need too in MAC. I don't know!

Have a good day all

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A VPN isn't necessary, but a network is. You can't share files between computers without those computers being networked in some way.

8. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

ahhhhhhhhh, I didn't read fully. Whooooooooops.

9. dzonko

dzonko Thread Starter

Apologies if my use of terminology was incorrect. I appreciate the feedback and at least now understand what I need to do.

I seem to have managed to create a network and connect the computers again, but as before neither one can "see" the other: Each computer shows that it is connected, but Windows Explorer doesn't show the Mac, and Finder doesn't show the Windows machine. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice