1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless vs. Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Richter915, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richter915

Richter915 Thread Starter

So I just bought myself a new laptop (hp dv6910us) and I'm enjoying it thoroughly but I have a very basic question about what to use in terms of internet. In my apartment, I can easily connect to the internet through my ethernet connection or through the wireless. Both are smooth, fast connections. In terms of increasing the lifespan and battery-life of the computer, should I stick primarily to connecting through the ethernet or through my wireless connection? I have an Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi adaptor and my processor is an AMD Turion X-2 TL-60 2Ghz with 3.00GB RAM. Running windows vista 32 Bit. It's a general question, not a pressing issue so answer at your leisure. Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Not sure if anyone has ever bench marked something like that. But my gut feeling is that the wireless would draw a little bit more power but I have no evidence to back that up.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In terms of increasing the lifespan and battery-life of the computer mostly use A/C.

If you are referring to how long it takes to discharge the battery I'm sure the wireless adapter uses more energy.

In the Help and Support Center on my HP laptop there is a pretty good discussion of laptop batteries.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Using wireless networking doesn't affect the overall life of the laptop. The laptop will use more battery power when running from battery with wireless enabled. You have to decide how best to balance power and portability. There's little point in owning a laptop you always have wired to a network and plugged into a wall. A desktop would be more economical in that situation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice