1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless + wired connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shaun123, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaun123

shaun123 Thread Starter

HI, I need some information please, I have got a desktop pc (o/s win xp) which is wired to a virgin cable broadband modem, I also have a fax/printer/scanner wired via usb to the desktop (The desktop is not wireless). I will soon be buying a laptop (o/s win vista) which is wireless enabled and wish to connect to the internet with both of these via a router (i think) and also be able to use the printer and share files between them. As I am new to quite a bit of this I would be greatful of any information (in laymans terms) on if this is possible, what I need to purchase to accomplish this and how to set this up. Thanks.:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless router (which will include a 4-port ethernet switch) is all you'll need.

If the multifunction printer is network ready (has an ethernet port) it can be connected directly to the router and each computer can use all its functions independently.

If the printer can be connected only to a computer, then it can be shared for use by the other computer(s). Only the printer function will be available over the network this way.

To get you started: http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

3. shaun123

shaun123 Thread Starter

Thanks terrynet I will go through all of the information you supplied .ty

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice