1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless & Wired Print server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dixiebox, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dixiebox

Dixiebox Thread Starter

Have a non-wireless printer (HP 2330) and non-wireless Desktop. Just added a wireless laptop and have a Netgear router. My problem is I want to make the printer wireless but their is only one USB port (Male B) and no ethernet port. If I put an adapter into the USB port on the printer to make it wireless, I will of course loose access from my desktop. Can I put a splitter into the printers USB port and use an wireless adapter plus the cable to the desktop?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To make a non-network-ready printer wireless you need a wireless print server. Make sure you get one that is compatible with your printer, as there are some incompatibilities.

3. Dixiebox

Dixiebox Thread Starter

Once I get the printer server and plug the printer into it instead of the non-wireless desktop it is now plugged into, how do I use that same desktop with the printer?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a printer connected by ethernet or wireless to a router, either directly or by using a print server, then any computer that is connected to the router (wireless or ethernet) can access the printer.

Do you realize that you can do printer sharing now without buying anything? Briefly, you enable file and printer sharing on your desktop and then share the printer. Then any computer connected to the router can connect to and use that printer as long as the desktop is on and active. Obviously the disadvantages are that the desktop must be on for any use of the printer, and the printer still needs to be near the desktop and router.

Even easier, but physically inconvenient if you do much printing from the laptop, is to just carry the laptop near the printer and switch the USB cable to it when needed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice