1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless with new computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jeri47803, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeri47803

jeri47803 Thread Starter

I have just replaced my old gateway with a new dell laptop. I use a netgear router. I am aware of how to search for wireless networks, but I password protected my network and now, can't remember my password. Is there any hope or will I have to buy a new router?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeri

2. ICONIC

ICONIC

if you can access the router physically then there should be a reset button on the front or back of the router, just press that and it will be reset to factory defaults.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Iconic is basically correct, but check your router's documentation. Sometimes the reset simply 'reboots' the router without changing the settings. What you want is the 'reset to factory defaults' button which usually involves a bit more than just pressing the button.

Often it's done by unplugging or turning off the router, then holding down the reset button while you turn it back on & it reboots-but every router is different. Check your documentation for 'reset to factory defaults'.

4. 1stoptek

1stoptek

For Netgear routers, I can confirm that the reset button on the back of the router just needs to be pressed for 30 seconds with the power still plugged in to reset it to factory settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice