1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless woes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tickkit, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tickkit

tickkit Thread Starter

Alright, here's one that has me stumped people. I just recently set up a wireless network in our home. We have three computers networked together. One is a laptop, the other two are desktops. One desktop is using a Linksys USB wireless adapter to recieve the wireless signal. It seems to work fine. The other desktop is using a Ethernet cable running directly off of the router. This also works well and is fast as all get out. The third computer is giving me a rash. The laptop is very new, a P4 2.8ghz Toshiba wi-fi enabled computer. The problem using it here at home is that while it is able to see the wireless signal and claims to have excellent connectivity, in real terms the connectivity is slow as cold molasses! Right now I have it directly plugged into the router via ethernet cable so it works right now. But part of the joy of having a wi-fi network is using it without wires.
    I have tested the internal wireless card which is a Atheros AR5001X + Wireless Network Adapter. It works just fine. I take my laptop all over town with no problems getting good connectivity on other networks. Just not my own. HELP!
    The other problem is something I think I can figure out. Both desktop computers on my network can see each other and transfer files between the two. The laptop can see both desktops but neither of the two desktops can see the laptop.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
    Oh yeah! Two computers use Windows XP Pro. One uses Windows XP home. (One of the desktops uses home)

J~

2. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

Hi there!

Don't worry! Your wifi is working very well! Wi-fi user use in case of nessesary, it's extremly slow! Wireless is better, but it's slow and non-secure...
    Even though your notebook is new but it can not improve the connection speed! Use cable is messy, but it's really fast!
    So, if you buy your laptop for entertain only, sorry, sellit!
    If you want to work with your group, cable is the best way for both internal and internet connection!

Second things, netheir desktops can not see the laptop:
    Try to log on with the administrator account on both desktops and laptop!
    Enable user GUEST on laptop!
    it's work for sure!
    Reply me if it doesn't work! I can give you another way!!!!

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Where'd you get that from? Wi-Fi can run up to 54mbps, many many times faster than any home internet connection. And its only insecure if you don't know how to set it up.

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

Yeah, where did you get that. Wi-fi should rock.

5. t1n0m3n

t1n0m3n

I agree, even 802.11b (11 mbps) should notice no speed difference on surfing and downloading files from the internet. The only difference you will see is transferring large files from one computer to the next at the same house. If you have an internet connection greater than 6 Mbps then you might see more of a difference the more you go faster than 6Mps. And that is for 802.11b, the internet connection would even need to be faster than that to notice a difference on 802.11g.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off ANY "turbo" or enhanced proprietary speed-up features in all of the wireless configurations, since they tend not to play across brands. Also, when you have more than one WiFi connection on 802.11b, the performance drops off quickly. 802.11a/b/g is half-duplex, and the bandwidth is shared among all the connections. Since the real throughput of a single 802.11b connection is on the order of 5-6mbits, and you get less than half of that with two stations contending for the connection, it's easy to see why you'd be disappointed with the performance.

7. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

Yep, I think Johnwill is right on target.

Most vendors with extra performance get that through their proprietary features and will usually try that first and then back down to standards if that doesn't work.

8. tickkit

tickkit Thread Starter

Hey thanks for posting everyone. I have actually tried to set up my laptop on the network with no other wireless devices vying for the network connection. I still can't get it to run. I have recently installed a WEP key on the router. I still get an "excellent" signal quality from the router but it is still slow as cold molasses. I run 802.11B and do file transfers between the three computers here. I understand that using 11B is slower in that configuration but it should not be so slow using the internet. I still don't really understand what is going on with my wi-fi. In our house we just recently added another laptop to the fray and works just fine. I'll take it to get the hardware checked out. Thanks peoples~

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice