1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless won't turn on

Discussion in 'Networking' started by typpeo, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. typpeo

typpeo Thread Starter

We have a fairly new Asus laptop and for some reason we can't get the wireless to turn on any more.

It has a Function button method to turn it on and off and any time you use this button it shows the WLAN simple with a red line through it. No matter how many times you press it it does the same thing.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling, ran a security update for the drivers. When I go into the wireless connection and try and turn it on it shows that it has a signal (not sure what to) but a red X next to the connection in windows 7. I can't actually see any wireless signals so I'm kind of at a loss.

A hard connection works fine and I tried rolling back to a previous version in case it was an update but that didn't help. The wife thinks the cat stepped on the keyboard and that's the only thing I can think of. Is that there is some keyboard command I need to do to turn it back on. There is no hard switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The adapter does appear in Device Manager under Network Adapters and there are no warnings or errors in Device Manager, right?

I'm not familiar with any Asus laptop, so I'm talking generalities. Usually the keyboard wireless switch (when there is one) is a key combination, such as Fn + F2.

Instead of a push button or slide switch there may be a pressure switch somewhere--check your documentation.

If you right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager - Properties - Advanced tab - you may find a Property that toggles the wireless on and off.

There may be a WLAN utility that enabled/disables the wireless (check in the Notification Area). And, finally, there may be a wireless utility named for the adapter or for Asus that includes an on/off option.

3. typpeo

typpeo Thread Starter

No warnings in the device menu, I added and removed both network adapters and restarted and that didn't help.

Fn-F2 is what turns it on and off and that is the only buttons I can find, I don't see any hard buttons on the laptop just for wireless. I'll check the manual tomorrow.

I tried toggling it on and off through control panel but when it turns on that's when I see the red X next to the connection. I get the same red X next to the wired connection if I don't have a good connection.

There is another utility for windows 7 I think and when i go into that it has a WLAN option to connect but it's grayed out.

4. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

Was this an issue all of a sudden, or was there a gradual inability to enable the wireless card, i.e. needing to restart the laptop?

What is the model of the laptop, and has any wireless networking software been installed?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. typpeo

typpeo Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses we had a IDt10 error. The hard button is on the left side in the front and you can't see it unless you look really hard. So we found it and we fail.

thanks all.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice