1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless working fine, Wired not working properly.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xecure, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xecure

xecure Thread Starter

I have sort of an odd problem. I have a desktop computer that is connect to the internet wirelessly. Everything works fine there. I also have an xbox360 connected to the desktop via an Ethernet cable. I use this connection primarily to stream movies from my computer to the xbox. Today in the middle of a movie the movie stopped playing and gave me an error saying xbox isn't connected to the computer any more.
    I checked the physical connection and everything was fine. I looked at my desktop (running windows xp) and noticed my LAN connection wasn't properly running. It said I have limited or no connectivity. So I tried repairing it, renewing it, disabling and re-enabling it. Nothing worked. In fact I get this error: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I also noticed I have a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address, if that helps at all:[​IMG]

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also reinstalled the driver for the LAN card.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless you are using static IPs having an APIPA (169.254.x.y) is expected for a direct connection between computers or game boxes. Maybe the computer's or Xbox's NIC or the cable is defective.

3. xecure

xecure Thread Starter

I've tried my laptop and 3 different cables. Maybe the xbox's NIC is broken? What else can it be?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Xbox is complaining about connectivity with 3 different cables and 2 different computers (and it used to work with at least one of those combinations) I'd say the problem has to be with the Xbox. Whether it could be something in the Xbox other than the NIC I have no idea.

5. xecure

xecure Thread Starter

would you be able to refer me to any links or guides so I can try a few things to fix it?

I called xbox support, talked to 3 different people and they all reach dead ends. I called Microsoft's main line and they refer me to xbox's hotline when I say my problem is with my xbox. When I tell them its a windows xp problem they want $59.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have nothing to offer w.r.t. Xbox. Except, when calling Xbox's hotline or tech support don't say it's a Windows problem. Tell them it seems to be an Xbox problem, probably with the NIC.

7. xecure

xecure Thread Starter

=/ tried that. Talked to 3 different people and ran into dead ends.
    Thank you for attempting me though, If someone sees this thread (even months form now) and can help please leave a reply. If I find a solution I'll be back here to post it.

8. xecure

xecure Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice