Wireless works, but I lose internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

macevhicz

Win XP Pro
2Ghz P4, 1G Ram, custom build.

Hello,

I’m having issues with my fairly new wireless network. It is US Robotics wireless starter kit USR 5470, consisting of USR5462 wireless router and USR5422 USB wireless adapter. I also use a Motorola cable modem SB5101, through the wireless router.

The issue I’m having is that I sometimes I lose the ability to use the internet, even though the wireless signal is fine. For example, I can access the router’s admin setup page wirelessly, and access the cable modem admin setup throug the wireless router, but can’t get on yahoo, or any other site on the web.

When the problem occurs, the IP address and gateway, etc. are all set correctly. The modem indicates correct functionality.

This happens in two situations…
1) Just regular surfing, kappow! It’s stops accessing internet (but wireless is working). I haven’t found any particular trigger.
2) After waking from hibernation, more often than not, the internet is not accessible, though wireless works fine.

Here’s some things I’ve tried.
1) Cycle router & modem. Usually has no effect.
2) Unplug & re-plug USB wireless adapter. This fixes problem about 50% of the time.
3) Using the USB wireless adapter’s control application, turning off radio and then back on. Only tried this a couple times, and it was hit-or-miss.
4) Restart computer. This usually works, but as you may guess, I’d rather not have to restart multiple times everyday.
5) updated the firmware & USB adapter drivers
6) updated USB controller drivers

I can’t figure this one out…. Any tips? I wonder if it’s a USB problem, a windows problem, or what…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I'd consider anything but a USB adapter, since that's my last choice of an interface for networking.

Hibernation is often problematic, since one of the key things that seems to go wrong is initializing all the hardware again. I doubt you'll ever get 100% restoration of the wireless network after coming out of hibernation.

For the stoppage in the middle of using it, I suggest you check and see if USR has a firmware update for the router. Many times, this kind of issue is resolved with updated firmware.

macevhicz

Hmmm, Yes, I wondered at using a USB adapter myself. I've had problems with a USB hub in the past that caused IRQs to stack, thereby crashing the machine.

I have actually updated the firmware and USB adapter driver, as well as USB controller drivers, to no avail.

Here's a question though... Do you think if I installed a PCI wireless adapter, would it be susceptable to hibernation problems?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't think you'll ever get hibernation to work 100% with a wireless network. Of course, I have little use for hibernation anyway, if I want my machine off, I'll turn it off. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online