1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless works, but not wired? very odd

Discussion in 'Networking' started by neb139, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neb139

neb139 Thread Starter

First time posting, so please help. :confused:
    I’m trying to fix a home network (of about 12 PC’s) that has been on/off for the last 2 weeks and has now completely gone down (ie: no outside connection, but still lan). I power surged the Linksys wireless router and now the wireless network is working, but the wired is not? The diagram is as follows: Cable Modem => 12-port router => Linksys WAP. It’s odd that the WAP functions, but nothing that is connected to 12-port functions. What makes it stranger: I tried replacing the router with a D-Link DI-624 and still no connection to outside the network (wireless or wired). More info: using dynamic IP, all windows XP machines, when I used the D-Link the ip was seemlessly renewed, but with the existing router, the operation timed-out.and normal 192.168.1.x IP’s. I would access the wired router, but I don’t know the manufacturer because it was installed with the house. And I you’d think it was the ISP, but why does the wireless network work? Or, you could say it’s the NIC’s, but why won’t any for the 5 PC’s work? Any help would be great!

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

12 computers on 1 wireless network......you only have so much bandwidth.

just to make sure, the cable connection is into the wan/internet port.

is the router wired/wireless?
    it might have been better to setup the router hardwired to 1 computer but setup wireless also.

i used the setup cd and have all computers obtaining ip addresses automatically.

do you have a separate wap?

i run 3 computers out of a hardwired linksys router and the 4th rj-45 cable goes to the wap/11b for the laptop.

3. neb139

neb139 Thread Starter

Yes, there is a seperate WAP connected to the 12-port wired router. I even tried directly connecting to the modem with one PC, but still no luck. This has to be the oddest problem I've ever encountered. Thanks for the assistance, I'll need all the help I can get.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

no it's not odd.

if you can't connect 1 pc from the modem it's either a defective modem/nic card/pci slot or something isn't setup right.

you've got to resolve this issue before tying in the router.
    how/why the wap is working is magic.

why dynamic ip's?, let the ip address be assigned automatically.

is the modem provided by the isp? :cool:

5. neb139

neb139 Thread Starter

Yes, the modem is provided by the ISP, but I also tried a Linksys BEFCMU10 modem. Also, I wouldn't think it's the NIC or PCI slot becuase I tried connecting 3 laptops and a desktop (one at a time). You may be right about the modem though because you usually can't just replace a modem w/o contacting the ISP to verify the MAC address, correct?

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you're losing me.
    is the 12 port router yours or was installed in the house?

what do you mean you "power surged" the router?

it seems like you're doing apples and oranges.
    some of yours, some of what was in the house.

input to cable modem out to wan/internet port on router-rj-45 cables to computers/wap/wireless computers w/wireless nic card.

mac address is from the nic card.
    i didn't notify them and replaced the cable modem some time back, provided by the isp, and just hooked it up.

you should be able to run any of the computers thru the modem and get on internet. all need to have tcp/ip protocol. i suggest that all of the computers obtain the ip address automatically.
    only one of the computers needs to be setup for the router. i don't have the computer that setup the router in the system anymore.

my isp lets me run the router but offers no support.

after the isp did the initial setup and it was working and left, i used the install cd for the linksys router, ran the cables to the other computers and they all worked.
    i ran 1 rj-45 cable from the hardwired router(3 computers)/already working, to the wap, installed the client manager to setup encryption and it worked because the connection from the modem-router-3 computers was fine.

you have to have the basic internet working with just the modem before you can do the rest.

is this usb by chance.

i had the choice and wanted ethernet.:cool:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a 12 port switch and no router? Do you have 12 public IP addresses? How about some make/model info on the networking equipment?

8. neb139

neb139 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it. I found the make/model of the USTec TP-IPR8 and restored to factory defaults and reconfigured it myself. All I have to say is, if you want something done right - tear it down and build it back up again. Oh and (n) to USTec

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

So, is the network running again? If so, our job is finished here. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice