1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Works Fine but Wired Does Not

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sdraher, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdraher

sdraher Thread Starter

Having issues with one of my PCs in my Home Network. I run DSL/Wireless Router and all my wireless devices run good but my ethernet connection on my Main PC's has issues. Hard to explain but it seems to work fine after booting machine but after a short while of surfing, it loses speed. It doesn't lose connection, just speed. Have done multiple speed tests and the same bad results. I have tested my laptop on the ethernet connection and seems to work fine. Replaced the PCI ethernet adapter in the machine and did not fix the problem. Tried all ports on the router, same results. Any assistance would be great!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What OS? What security application(s)?

3. sdraher

sdraher Thread Starter

Sorry...Vista Ultimate 32bit and McAfee Total Protection.

4. sdraher

sdraher Thread Starter

Using a VPN to log into my work's network seems to be fairly stable. Doing a continuous ping between my computer and a server at work gives me typical stable response times. What can I ping while not on my VPN?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router or another computer on your LAN. Probably your modem (192.168.100.1). Any internet site that returns pings (e.g., google.com).

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. sdraher

sdraher Thread Starter

Talked with Geek Squad guy about this and he stated it sounded like a Trojan or virus? Any truth to that? I will try what you recommend and let you know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice