Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless XP drops secured network.

875 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
My wife's computer running XP OS with SP3, connected to our WPA-2 wireless network with Linksys WUSB100 adapter, keeps losing its Internet connection whenever she is offline (not logged off for a period of time), connected to a broadband modem through a Linksys WRT120N Wireless Router. Linksys has its own wireless manager, which conflicted with Windows XP WZC, so I went in and disabled that ( did nothing to solve problem). However, we have an unsecured wireless network in our immediate neighborhood, and that is the network (albeit with a weak signal, and a speed of only 24mbs speed) that her computer connect to. There must be a way of blocking her computer from connecting to that network, or to remove that network from the available networks list. I have been searching online for solutions, and have contacted Linksys support several times for support, but they claim to have no solutions.

#2 ·
If you lose the Linksys client and use Windows WZC, you can inhibit it connecting to non-preferred networks. Make sure your SSID is unique, if it has the same name as another network, you can still run into this issue.

#6 ·
If the 3rd party client finds wireless networks, it's hard to believe WZC can't find them.
When WZC searched for networks , none appeared on a window like I get with Linksys Wireless Manager. Instead I got a message telling me that Windows could not configure my connection and to use software, if any, that came with my hardware. There is no option available that allows me to only connect to preferred networks. I have been in touch with the Linksys techs every day trying to solve the annoying problem of the computer dropping the connection every time my wife is not using either email or the Internet for a short time, but they haven't been much help.

#7 ·
My preference is usually for the Intel or Netgear or whatever utility over WZC, but I'd say WZC can't do any worse than that Linksys one is doing. Suggest you at least stop the Linksys and see how WZC does as a test. I know it can be annoying sometimes, but it does have a "not any" or "preferred only" setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.