1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless XP outages, possible solution

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brad_schl, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brad_schl

brad_schl Thread Starter

I am again having issues with my wireless internet connection. Here's the story from the beginning.

When I first hooked into this wireless network after moving into this house, I was having a lot of trouble with the internet. I regularly lost internet access. Sometimes it would be in spans of an hour or so, sometimes as quick as a couple seconds apart. And it would stay off for intermittent times as well. Sometimes as long as 5 minutes, others only a couple seconds.

Eventually, and I can't remember exactly how it was fixed, but the problem stopped for months. Then, two things happened. 1. I reformated my computer and 2. due to a circuit breaker problem, we lost power to the router for awhile. These are the only two things that have changed.

And my problem is back, and worse than ever. Though I might have a solution, though I don't remember it exactly.

If I remember correctly, the problem was with XP. Somehow it was messing around with the connection on its own, and screwing it up. And through using the registry or one of the Administrative Tools, I was able to tell XP to leave a certain aspect of the connection alone.

I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what my solution was, I was wondering if anyone here has an idea as to what I'm talking about. Thanks.

2. scottosan

scottosan

Do you have a cordless phone operating at 2.4 Ghz? This often cuases wireless problems. If unplu you phone, reset the wireless access point and your PC's and see if this is your problem.

3. brad_schl

brad_schl Thread Starter

There is one, but it's not anywhere near either the access point or my computer. And also, it's only my computer that's having these issues, other ones on the network are fine.

I'm actually using another computer on the network at the moment. Mine has gotten so bad that it barely stays connected long enough to load a web page, then it goes out again.

4. brad_schl

brad_schl Thread Starter

Well... I did try replacing the phone with a non 2.4 ghz one, and it seems to have done the trick. Though it's really weird, though I guess it makes sense

There's about 4 computers upstairs, with the router at the east end of the house. The two closest to it worked in spite of the phone which is in the middle of the house downstairs. The two on the west end (including mine) were having this problem. I wasn't aware of the second computer having problems until today.

So yeah, that old 2.4ghz interference problem. Is it distance related? Like the farther away you are from the access point the easier it is to interfere with the signal?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, if you're a long ways from the WAP, the signals are very weak, and a closer signal will drown them out.

6. brad_schl

brad_schl Thread Starter

Hmmm... it seems to have popped up again. Though not to the extent it was.

I'm still curious about what i mentioned in the first post. A way to tell XP to stop something... I believe it involved XP trying to keep checking if the connection was present.

7. drdrew1469

drdrew1469

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice