1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kymanfredo, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kymanfredo

kymanfredo Thread Starter

i set up an adhoc wireless connection on the main computer, which has a dell mobile card in it and i have a cisco lan card on a laptop upstairs. i have connection on the laptop, but i don't think it's from the wireless signal downstairs. the laptop is a an older dell model that had win95 on it, which i upgraded to 98. how can i check if the laptop is on the right wireless connection?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What makes you think it's on the wrong one? And, where would the connection for the "wrong" one be?

If you want to check what your public IP address is, you can go to this page http://www.network-tools.com/ and look in the address box, it's prefilled with your address. If when you go to the same page on the other machine, you see the same address, you are on the same public IP address.

3. kymanfredo

i came to this conclusion because the network i am on, is named after a street that i don't really live on. i live on a coldasack connected to the street. i check out that website. and the numbers don't match...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I guess you're using someone else's wireless connection. Look at the bright side, you have lots more bandwidth available now, his and yours! :D

5. kymanfredo

hahahaha

6. kymanfredo

but my connection is soo unstable... i have connectivity for a minute and then don't have it the next.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice