1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wirelesss Adapters: "Media disconnected"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kase373, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM.

Advertisement
  1. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If the firewall is corrupted I know of only one way to test/fix it.

Let's go back to how/when the problem happened. Please detail "when my internet suddenly crashed and stopped working completely." The router lost internet access? Or the modem lost connection? Or something else?

And you did that how?

2. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

I was attempting to forward a port at the time. The reason I was portforwarding was because I was attempting to set up a server for some friends to connect to so we could play together on a Valve game. I was troubleshooting the port (27015) because my computer was not forwarding it successfully. I had made a firewall exception to port 27015. Before the crash, the server nor the internet showed any sign of problems. At the time my internet crashed, I was actually not currently doing anything related to the ports or the internet. (It was a few minutes after I had made the firewall exception.) I am pretty certain the router suddenly became unable to properly send my computer Internet access. The same thing may have happened to my brother, who was in the house and was trying to connect to the server, for he mentioned something about the internet not working on his computer. I am not sure if that's the case anymore because he is not home. However, every other device in my house can properly connect to and use the wireless internet.

The 169 address was replaced after I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Qualcomm driver.

3. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

Also, I noticed something in my router settings on the Verizon website. Under the portforwarding section, there are new entries, containing only my computer and my brother's computer. There's also a strange entry with my computer that's directed to port 1063.

upload_2017-7-17_13-17-25.png

The entry ending in -PC is my computer, while the one at the very bottom is my brother's.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I cannot think of anything else.

5. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

That's okay -- I appreciate your time. Have any suggestions as to where I should look for help next?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

No, but I'll remind you that I brought up the issue of possible firewall corruption. When the problem is firewall corruption I cannot remember a single case in which disabling the firewall made an iota of difference. Hence, my comment (post # 16) about knowing only one way to test for it.

7. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

I'm willing to test for it, then, if you can tell me how.

8. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Uninstall it and run it's removal tool, if one's offered.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

First, uninstall it. Then search for a Removal/cleanup tool. I think you said you are using ESET. If so, then do a web search for "ESET removal tool" (w/o the quotes). If you find one, download, install and run it. ReStart the system and test. You can then reinstall the firewall/security suite.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

OK, Andrew; ya beat me that time! :D

metallica5456 likes this.
  11. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

:D Not always! But I just posted what you taught me many years ago!

12. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

All right, I uninstalled ESET and reinstalled it, along with the firewall. Wireless internet still doesn't work, even after that. However, I noticed that there are quite a few more things that the firewall is blocking than before I reinstalled.

upload_2017-7-17_15-6-39.png
    upload_2017-7-17_15-7-14.png

Pretty strange.

EDIT: Just noticed that the DHCP and the DNS clients are being blocked in that picture. Should I unblock them?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Did you forget to say that you ran the Removal Tool? And to say exactly what happened when you then tested before the reinstall?

14. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

Whoops, yeah, sorry about that. The removal tool found no other antivirus software other than ESET installed on my computer.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

And, as in post # 7, you could ping the adapter but not the router or anything on the internet?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193198