1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wirelesss Adapters: "Media disconnected"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kase373, Jul 16, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

Yes, as long as I was not connected via Ethernet.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Everything is pointing to the wireless adapter being defective. I think that it is not defective, but I don't have any idea how to fight the evidence.

metallica5456 likes this.
  3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

I am agreeing with you, TerryNet. The only thing I could recommend is to replace it. If a new one STILL doesn't work then we have evidence to prove its likely software and not hardware.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Thanks, Andrew. Actually I just realized there is something else I would do if it were my computer. I'd try with a Linux distro "Live CD." If I got the wireless working that way then I'd know the hardware is fine. But for somebody who has never messed around with Linux OSes getting the wireless to work is not always easy. I'd start with Puppy Linux, 'cause it's small and simple.

5. metallica5456

Oh wow I didn't think of that either. Puppy Linux is still not the easiest , I'm, for someone who has never used Linux before. I like Ubuntu instead. I think it's more "user-friendly."

6. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

I think I may just take it into a local shop later tonight and see if I'm missing something obvious. I'm not experienced enough with networking to trust myself (because this is far beyond my experience). But I thank you both for staying patient with me and guiding me through as best as you could! :D

7. metallica5456

@kase373 I'll be honest with you. Going to a local Wal-Mart or similar kind of store and buying a wireless adapter for 20-30$ is going to def be cheaper than paying a shop to even just "diagnose" the PC. If you have a local shop, make sure to ask if they offer set rate or even free diagnostics.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

8. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

Hmmm, okay. I'll see if any shops around here offer anything of those, because I certainly don't want to throw all of my money down a hole. Otherwise, I'll probably just buy a wireless adapter.

9. metallica5456

Good luck.

kase373 likes this.
  10. kase373

kase373 Thread Starter

Good news! I talked to a Verizon agent, and he diagnosed it as a router problem. We did a factory reset on our router (which took no more than a minute) and now my computer is properly connected to the wireless internet. Thanks to everyone who was able to help! (Shoutout to Ravi at Verizon. You're the man.)

11. metallica5456

Great! I didn't even think about it being an AP issue. Glad to hear you got it sorted!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193198