1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WirelessZeroConfig on XP = ??? on Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fairnooks, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned Thread Starter

In XP, if one is playing something over the network on a wireless connection, there are usually (always?) little dropouts every so often caused by Wireless Zero Configuration service. So once its connected, simply disabling the service causes those dropouts to go away and playback is smooth and steady.

Well, in Windows 7 I have those same dropouts over wireless but, no Wireless Zero Configuration service to disable. So what is the equivalent or what needs to be done to make it quite checking the connection so that playback will be as smooth as it is with XP?

I've tried disabling a couple of sevices that were associated to wireless (WLAN Autoconfig) but so far I've only managed to completely bonk the connection.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WLAN AutoConfig is the greatly improved version of WZC, and as you discovered it is mandatory for wireless. Are you sure it is the cause of the disconnects? I'm not saying it's impossible, but don't think I have experienced any with Vista or Windows 7.

Any chance there is wireless interference from another network or 2.4 GHz device?

3. fairnooks

Its not disconnecting, just momentary dropouts exactly as experienced on XP without WZC disabled. I do have another wireless network on opposite ends of the channel spectrum so I suppose, maybe? The drivers for the adapter seem to work better with XP as I can connect and hold steady over RDP whereas 7 kicks the bucket very quickly after I log in so maybe it is not interfacing with the service very well? I get identical behavior from two Win7 systems, both of which have the same model adapter.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What adapter (brand and model)? Do you have the latest driver (from the PC manufacturer for an integrated adapter)?

5. fairnooks

Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB Adapter

Win 7 driver version: 62.1181.1118.2009 (WHQL certified)

I exited the adapter configuration and smart wireless utility that Netgear uses and the connection works more consistently, only a dropout every few minutes and not consistent ( so far, so there may be another cause for those). The driver dates back to when 7 first come out but I've not found any more recent.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice