1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wiring case connections to an A7N8X mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stiltzkin, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

3 problems: #1 - I'm wiring an A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, and I have been researching the orientation of connections (power, reset, speakers, etc.), but I have found blatantly contradictory information online. I have seen it said that the darker wire is ground, which is positive, and so should orient to match up with the positively marked pin. I have also seen it said that the darker ground wire is negative. #2 - How do I determine the orientation of the speaker plug (the little four-pin speaker wire for system boot-up beeps)? The pins for it on the mobo read as follows: +5V, ground, ground, speaker. So the grounds are in the middle and I can't use that as a reference. The cable itself has two wires, one on either end and none in the middle. One is black and one is red. #3 - My case has two USB cables, each with five pins. However, the mobo's two sets of USB pins consist of a five pin set and a four pin set. One seems to be missing one of the two grounds. since I don't know much about grounding, I don't know if that is a very bad thing or not. Thanks for any help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you not have a manual for your motherboard? Get one online if you do not and use it for reference.

Switches can be plugged in either way and they'll work, LED's will only work one way - so if they don't work just flip them around. Same with the Speaker.

As for your the USB - use the manual or send a email to ASUS with the exact layout of the wires - plugging in these incorrectly and damage the mobo and/or the USB ports on the case.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

Usually.. the COLORED wire goes to PIN 1 of each connector - if the light doesn't work, flip it. note: Its easy to MISS by one pin and have it not work at all.

- The USB cables ends should be marked with "VCC" -, +, GND etc... which is kind of the tricky part. I think most mobo makers are set on a STANDARD now... and cases makers can follow them... They should have DONE THIS to begin with...

4. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

Alright, thanks! All my problems are solved except for the USB one. I have the manual, and know the exact layout of the mobo pins and the cable jacks. The problem is as follows: The mobo has two rows of pins (one for each of the two USB ports), however, one of the rows is missing a pin (it has four pins instead of five). This configuration was meant for a single jack that combined two USB jacks, and thereby in some way negating the need for one of the wires (I guess the single combined jack is designed for the two USB jacks to share one of the pins?). The pins in the 5-pin row are labeled as follows: USB+5V, USB_P6-, USB_P6+, GND, NC. The other row has the same thing (well, its P5 instead of P6), except for the pin marked "NC", which is missing from that row. So are both USB jacks in the combined single jack sharing that one pin? What is NC? I don't have a single jack for two USB ports, I have two seperate 5-pin jacks, each marked as follows: VCC2, USB2-, USB2+, GND2, GND. I really know very little about electricity, and what exactly grounding is. So, is it OK if the GND jack has no pin to plug into, as long as the GND2 jack is plugged into the GND pin? Why is the GND jack on the other one plugged into a pin labeled "NC"?

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

NC = Not Connected

its simply a KEY for using the ASUS USB connecto, so you can't get it in backwards.... which would make it a rather nice standard if eveyone would use it.

6. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

Ah! That makes much more sense. So, it's ok if GND2 is connected, even if GND isnt?

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

It doesn't matter.... but might as well plug it in rather than have a lose wire swinging about.

8. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks for your help! It all works nicely now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!