Wirless access point connection but no internet and other

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lepiricus

I know there is a thread about this already and I have tried the suggestions and have not worked.

I have an IBM t-40 with windows xp SP2
linksys wpc54g adapter
linksys wrt54G router

My problem is that after installing the router and adapter it can connect to the access point but not the internet except for the very first time I installed it it worked until i shut down the laptop

I have tried the following:
linksys tech support
reseting winsock
updating router firmware and adapter drivers
re-installing router and adapter many times
try w/ and w/o WEP
tried Boingo software

The other thing that I think may be related is the odd way the laptop reacts when I put a network cable in it, like a high speed hotel connection, my home modem etc. If I plug the cable in the laptop when it is booted it will not get on the net with either firefox or IE even though it says "connected" in the network settings

The only way I can get it to actually connect to the internet is to completely power the laptop down and reboot from cold. Then it will "catch" and I can get online. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have optain IP atuomatically checked... I think it may be causing my problems

Click...

Start-->Run-->cmd

type: ipconfig

What is your IP Address and Gateway?

Try pinging your Network adapter: ping 127.0.0.1

If the above ping to your local adapter worked try pinging your Gateway: ping 192.168.1.1

What are the results of your ping?

Lepiricus

Quick update on this. I am going to try to return my linksys router and adapter and get a D-link set up will update later today.

Lepiricus

Okay, got the D-Link system and it is doing the same thing

I think it has to do something with my DNS

I did ipconfig after I booted up with the RJ-45 cable in....this is the only way i can get online with my network...It will not get online if I plug the RJ-45 in while it is booted, even though it says connected. Ipconfig w/ working connetion is as follows

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
IP Adress: 192.168.0.103
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Lepiricus

Okay,

I tried to run the netshell int ip reset reset.log and it did no good

I also tried to un-install microsoft networking componets and re-install. That did not work either. What was odd is that after I un-intalled network componets I still had the LAN and dial ups listed in my "network connections"

Lepiricus

From talking to tech guys at linksys and d-link they said I must have a corrupted networking install from xp or a corrupted tcp/ip

Is there a way to to completely un-install the networking portion of xp and re-install?

I have tried the netsh int ip reset reset.log and that did not work
I also tried to uninstall networking from the windows components part of the add/remove programs and that did not work

Any help is appreciated

Lepiricus

Mithrilhall said:
Click...

Start-->Run-->cmd

type: ipconfig

What is your IP Address and Gateway?

Try pinging your Network adapter: ping 127.0.0.1

If the above ping to your local adapter worked try pinging your Gateway: ping 192.168.1.1

What are the results of your ping?
pinging 127.0.0.1 was successful
I cannot ping 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 which are my gateway and router respectively

um your gateway is your router if you seeing a 192.168.0.1 as gateway and your routers ip is 192.168.1.1 theirs a problem in that. Did you go in the routers pages and change anything yet.

Lepiricus

Bal3Wolf said:
um your gateway is your router if you seeing a 192.168.0.1 as gateway and your routers ip is 192.168.1.1 theirs a problem in that. Did you go in the routers pages and change anything yet.
I have not changed anything on the router yet. I think the problem goes beyond the router though. I cannot plug a RJ45 network cable in when the computer is booted even at hotels, offices etc. It will "connect" but not let me on the internet though pages time out. It will work if I shut down the laptop then put the RJ45 cable in and boot up. That is the only way I can get on the internet. This problem has been on this T40 since I had it

The IBM tech guys had me update and flash my bios, update embedded drivers. The only thing they can reccommen is re-installing windows.

Lepiricus

I just ran a re-install of windows xp and it did not help

I plug my network cable in when the laptop is running and i get

IP address: 192.168.0.103
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
DNS server: 192.168.0.1
Wins server: blank

Is there anything wrong w/ those?

Lepiricus

JohnWill said:
The IPCONFIG results look fine.
But with that ipconfig, the laptop says I am "connected" but I cannot open any pages in IE or firefox, it times out. Very strange, and no one I have asked can figure out why

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online