1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wirless router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kingT, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingT

kingT Thread Starter

so I went back to my parents house for chritsmas and Got a dell wirless 2350 router. I set it up there originally and it worked great. Now I am back home and I am trying to connect to my cable internet (my folks have dsl) and at first I was getting "little or no conectivity" I searched the dell forums and tried putting in a static ip adress. This got rid of the message but I still can't open up web pages. The modem works fine with my wired desktop but my laptop isn't having it. What are the steps I need to go through to make this work? I am running windows xp on the laptop and 2000 on the desktop. I want to have my wired computer connected and my laptop wirless.
    Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

connect the Router to the Modem with the Cat5 cable that was connected to the pc . . then connect the pc to the router with a cat5 cable. Turn off the modem, router and all pc's.

After 30 seconds, turn on the modem . . let the lights stabilize, turn on the router, let it's lights stabilize. . then turn on one pc at a time so that the router can assign an IP address.

wrs

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try first resetting the router to factory defaults. Chances are the DSL modem required PPPoE, and your cable account requires the standard dynamic IP assignment. A standard broadband router should connect to a DOCSIS compliant cable modem and your machines with the factory default settings. Then, all you have to do is to setup the wireless section.

4. kingT

kingT Thread Starter

well it seems that made some forward progress. My desktop is connected through the router but my laptop is saying giving me a "little or no conectivity" message. I tried to repair the connection but it said it coudn't repair the ip address. I set it to get ip address automatically.

5. kingT

kingT Thread Starter

I think I already have reset the router to factory defaults by pressing the reset button.

6. kingT

kingT Thread Starter

so is it the settings on the wirless laptop? I tried doing a system restore to an earlier time when the connection was working properly but that didn't seem to help it. Any other suggestions?

7. kingT

kingT Thread Starter

I reset all the default settings on the router and then restarted everything. I took down the firewall and I was able to connect. I reenabled the firewall and everything seems to be working fine. I am very happy.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice