1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wirless router recommandation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skyhigh007, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skyhigh007

skyhigh007 Thread Starter

Hi

Currently I'm using Netgear Wireless 11b and the max speed i can get is 11MBps. I was wondering if the speed will go faster if I get a Netgear Wireless G router or it depends on how fast your DSL modem ?

Whats the best Netgear wireless Router and which USB adapter supports it ?

Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What speed are you supposed to be getting with your DSL?

What speeds are you actually getting via your wireless, and what speed when you connect via ethernet to the router? If you don't have a favorite internet speed test try http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

3. skyhigh007

How do you check what speed you are supposed to get from your DSL ?
    The MAX speed Im getting via Wireless is 11.0Mbps beucase im using Netgear 802.11b router. The speakeasy test results are in the following.

Download Speed: 1513 kbps (189.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 360 kbps (45 KB/sec transfer rate)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How do you check what speed you are supposed to get from your DSL ?"

If you don't know what you're paying for, you could ask your ISP. :)

I'm assuming that the speed you are concerned about is the internet via your wireless. It is limited to no more than about 5 Mbps actual with your 802.11b router, but if your max DSL speed is no more than that, you are not being limited by the wireless.

5. skyhigh007

I'm paying $30 a month for my DSL. I'm getting 11.0 Mbps from my wireless connection.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you really want to know how your wireless is performing, and if a faster speed would help, try this.

Run the speedtest at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest, then connect with a wired connection from the same computers and run it again. Compare the results.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice