1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wish to install Win XP on my i7 2600K- Asus P8Z68 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by icett, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icett

icett Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a gaming pc with second generation core i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 mobo, WD Black Sata III hard drive, Nvidia GTX 570 graphic card. I wish to install Windows XP with Windows 7 on my PC, i.e. dual boot both the windows. Is it possible to do that? Since I am not so advanced in technical matters, would some one guide me how to do that in easy language step by step? I would appreciate your help in this regards. With my best regards.:)

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

While it is technically possible to dual boot I am doubting that the hardware manufacturers for your mobo, SATA drive and graphics card made drivers for Windows XP. Your first goal is to make sure you have all the drivers for all your hardware. Then you start thinking about Dual Booting.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Welcome to the TSG Forum

I was looking at the ASUS Site and it looks like the drivers for XP are available.
    Any particular reason why you want XP ??

I'd suggest putting XP on a HDD of its own and dual booting that way ..
    I've read about problems dual booting with 2 systems on one HDD .. When one of them is W7.

4. icett

icett Thread Starter

I have found the below drivers:

1- WD site says that their hard drives need no drivers:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/1708/c/130/p/227,279#internal

2- Found the Asus motherboard driver for XP:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68_DELUXE/#download

3- Found the Nvidia Evga driver for XP:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-285.58-whql-driver.html

I have also read "slipstreaming" etc. on some sites. Is that necessary? And also that Windows XP service pack 3 is needed. I don't know these things. I have XP service pack 3. Also is there some way I could install XP with 7 on a single hard drive; any work around? I have WD sata III 1 tb hard drive.I am writing below a step by step method as I have understood after browsing a lot. Kindly examine and inform me if that is right.

1. Install Windows XP to the hard drive. You may find you need to install drivers. Also get drivers for your motherboard and graphic card for Windows XP, burn on an optical disk and install them.

2. Go to control panel. admin tools, computer management, storage, disk management and run the following tasks:

2.1 Shrink drive C to 300GB
    2.2 Create a new partition D 300GB in size (this will be for Windows 7
    2.3 Create a third partition using all the remaining space for data storage.

3. Install Windows 7 to drive D using advanced install options to ensure you install it to drive D and not overwriting XP.

This should create a startup menu for you to select which op sys you want at startup.

Am I correct?:confused:

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    XP does not have the SATA driver needed to install XP in a SATA system
    I had to Slipstream the SATA driver into the XP install Disc.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    For the ease of maintenance .. I install my different systems in different (independent) HDDs.
    During bootup, There's a key you can press (determined by your BIOS) that will enter a boot loader where you can select which HDD to boot from ...
    ... If you want to boot from a HDD different than the Default .. (Usually the first bootable device found as setup in the BIOS)

I don't think the WD SATA III HDDs are capable of delivering the full SATA III speed.
    You wont realize the full SATA III speed unless the OS is in a SATA III SSD .. Then you'll really see the speed.

I'm still curious why you want XP ??

7. icett

icett Thread Starter

The reason I wish to use Windows XP is that I have a lot of collection of games I bought in earlier times, I think some of them may not work on Windows 7. Also some versions of the game "Counter Strike, source". Another old game is called "Imperialism" which was actually for Windows 95/98 but also runs on XP".:)

PS: Can you inform me where could I find Sata drivers?

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate has a Virtual XP Mode .. I wonder if that would play your older games at your new speeds ???

I was hoping you'd find all the XP drivers ... I may have to build my next computer .. I don't like W7 for several other reasons .

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice