1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Witch memory do i need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Severoth, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

Well i would like to thankyou in advance im only second guessing myself but so far i dont know to mutch on the subject of ram. maybey this isent the time except that i want to buy some for my Acer E360. so far im thinking i need 333/400mhz Pc 3200 ram. i dont think i can do duel channel but correct me if im wrong...im not sure the easiest way to find out... Thanks... i want to buy duel channel if my system will do it im just going to put that in or anyway i want to end up with 2 dimms of 1 gig each...and yes ima gamer so fastest best thing i can get and afford(recommendations welcome)...Thanks again!

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

Severoth, after a quick search for your desktop, I've come to the conclusion that your motherboard is most likely a Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS. You can double check this by going into your BIOS and looking for any identification that would suggest otherwise. This particular motherboard, however, supports dual channel memory with speeds up to DDR400 PC3200 and a max capacity of 4GB (1GB max per slot). You should be able to find some great memory options at any online retialer, I'll take a look around in a few minutes and update my post with my findings. Hope this helps!

UPDATE: Below are three good choices for RAM. All three are 2x1GB DDR400 PC3200 that would run in a dual channel setup. They are in order of highest performance (and price :().

If these are out of your price range, or you don't think you'll need this high of a level of performance, let us know, and we'll help pair you with the perfect setup for your needs!

3. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

Well im not sure if i still can do duel channel there was 2 previous posts i made that had some system info but im pretty sure its the pc3200 333/400mhz ram DDR. Sorry, im seaming like a pain but im ona those Gota be sure guys lol i dun wanna buy the wrong thing when it could just take a little more research but thanks for your help so far. :) O Yes one last thing since im probibly gona go ahead and buy the XMS Corsair stuff expecting the most ..lol hopefully it works and delivers im sure i cant leave the old ram in as well witch is fine (WHY im buying top of the line 2 gigs) is there any specific things to look for in instillation to look for do's-dont's?

4. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

5. thechanmane

thechanmane

The OCZ would be a good choice. The link i provided is just one example of an OCZ memory chip, but there are others (like the one you found) that would also work, i just wanted to provide with you a nice spread of prices. I'm fairly positive you will be able to run the two chips in a dual channel configuration. Dual channel just refers to the method and locations in which they are installed and how the motherboard interprets them. It allows for faster performance due to spatial optimization and efficient schematics. There is no loss or risk associated with running dual channel memory on a motherboard that does not support dual channel architecture; you just won't see as high of performance gains. Here is a great link for more information about dual channel DDR.

As far as installation goes, there is nothing too special about installing dual channel memory chips. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you place the chips in the correct DIMM slots. For most standard dual channel memory setups, you should alternate the DIMM slots you use. For example, if you want to run dual channel, you should install your dual channel DDR chips in the 1st and 3rd DIMM slots or the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots. Lastly, make sure you are installing them in the correct direction (they really only go one way :)). If you have any more questions or concerns, reply and we'll get back to you quick!

6. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

Ok thanks and i guess im going to order me some hopefully no doa's or any problems will occur.

7. thechanmane

thechanmane

Sounds good. I'm glad to help; just post if you run into any trouble or need any more questions answered!

8. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

So far soo good Came on the 3rd day NEWEGG.... and not doa....so thats good and i checkd my Computer thing it says 2 gigs like its supposed to....are there any tests to make sure its working right? or anything else? i hear using memtest86 or somthing im guessing thats in command prompt or what i do???

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

If your system is running and stable, you got good RAM.

If you want to run Memtest, you need to download it and make a bootable CD or floppy with it.

From the tone of your post, however, sounds like everything is doing fine...if so, don't worry about memtesting. Just enjoy it!

10. Severoth

Severoth Thread Starter

allright, well see how it does this weekend since i think ima be kickd outa my house im taking my pc, and other machines to my friends house for some gaming fun as well as gettin away from the chaos...this weekend And Thanks everyone for ur help!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice