1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WJ View

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dinotars, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dinotars

dinotars Thread Starter

My husband has Windows XP on his computer. The last item we had put on the computer was ATI TV Wonder VE, then couple days later we are getting this WJ View Error
    Error: could not execute Main: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Then I went to search and on my husband computer were the following:
    WJView.Exe-0505A0CF.PF C:\Windows\Prefetch
    WJView
    C:\Windows\System32
    Could someone please help me out on this problem.
    Everything else works on my husband computer so far. Thanks

2. Pancake

Pancake

3. dinotars

dinotars Thread Starter

Thank You Pancake, will tell my husband about this in the morning and see what he wants to do, thank you again. Hope this will help him.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'd suggest posting a HijackThis Scanlog before proceeding. Unzip Hijackthis to a permanent folder (not a temp one), then run it and select Scan. Save the Scanlog and then copy/paste the results here.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Usually there are other issues to be addressed as well when this is present.

And the directions given on that site are not entirely valid; while unchecking the entry in msconfig will prevent the startup error, the registry location for the UNchecked startup will not then be found in the location given. However if you do NOT use msconfig to uncheck the item, then the registry edit instruction is valid. HijackThis can be used to do the same.

5. dinotars

dinotars Thread Starter

Pancake does my husband do the http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBP/tip7600/rh7627.htm first or does he download the sun java first before doing the other? I guess the WJView came with his HP 750 Pavillion, we do not have the disk that came with it as they did not give us one. Thank You
    P. S. the only other way we could do that is to to a restore to where this PC work back before we got the WJView.

6. dinotars

dinotars Thread Starter

Rollin Rog we have from Lavasoft their free ad-aware 6.0 for both PC and we take off the ad-aware every day. Is this different then the spy-ware? Thanks

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No; the problem is most likely that Ad-aware removed the actual file associated with the wjview error, but did not remove the startup registry entry. This is easily done with HijackThis.

8. Pancake

Pancake

Tyr this one first http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBP/tip7600/rh7627.htm if this fails to help go for the Java.If it still gives trouble do as Rollin Rog suggest and run "Hijack This" and we will see if there is a nasty in there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice