1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.wks files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jssch, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I recently found some old floppy's ( I know, I know unreal right?) I had several files on there from it looks like Ole Works program. Is there anyway I can open them without having to find an old version of works to put on the computer?

2. Chico1984

Chico1984

Hey jssch,

If you access to MS Word 2003, try these steps (it usually works, because when I worked at a college HelpDesk we'd have students come in all the time with this problem, since the school computers did not have MS Works).

1. Open My Computer
    2. Click on Tools --> Folder Options
    3. Go to the View Tab
    4. Make sure that "Hide extension for known file types" is unchecked.
    5. Hit OK and make your way out and make a copy of your wks files (because this could corrupt them if it does not work). Be sure to copy them onto your PC.
    6. Change the file extension from wks to doc and choose "Yes" if it warns you about changing to an unknown file type.
    7. Now try to open it in word. It should open, but some of the text / paragraphs may be unformatted, but your document should be readable.

Let us know how it works!

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wks files are spreadsheet files from Works. They will open in Microsoft Excel. They may also open the the free Excel Viewer 2003 (or try another version).

4. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Well, I tried all three things mentioned in both of the previous posts.....
    1. Renamed the files
    2. Tried opening in Excel
    3. Downloaded the viewer and tried as well..

Any other suggestions?

Basically it says the file is not in a recognizable format and then opens it with a bunch of symbols, etc.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I have no idea why Chico would have you rename files to a completely different type. I'm not surprised it didn't work. There's no technical explanation for it.

From what I've read, you're going to need Works or Excel to get the files open. Maybe a 60-day trial of Microsoft Office would allow you to at least open the files. Or find a friend with Office installed.

6. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I have Excel. It allows it to open but is only full of symbols etc. Before it opens it says not recognizable format.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

A. Leave the extension as .wks - don't change it to .doc, no wonder you get garbage.
    B. .wks was only widely used as an extension by Works or Lotus 1-2-3, both spreadsheets, both ones that Excel will open.

9. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

DoubleHelix,

Am I reading the link you gave me right? Basically it looks like I have to open MS Works first to make the file compatible BEFORE I can open it with excel? Also, i am using 2007 vesrion of Excel, so would that make a difference too?

From link.....
    Microsoft Excel can open Microsoft Works files saved in the Microsoft Works 2.0 (or earlier) format. To open Microsoft Works 3.0 or 4.0 files in Microsoft Excel, you must first save them in a compatible file format.

Save a Microsoft Works file in a compatible file format
    If you want to open a file saved from Microsoft Works 3.0 or 4.0 in Microsoft Excel versions 5.0 and later, the file must first be saved in a compatible file format.

Open the file in Microsoft Works 3.0 or 4.0. Click Save As on the File menu.
    From the Save File As Type list, select one of the following file formats:
    Works for Windows 2.0 (WKS)
    Excel 4.0/5.0 (XLS)
    Lotus 1-2-3 (WK1)

I did the last part of the link which reads:
    Once your Microsoft Works file is in a compatible format, you can open it in Excel.

On the File menu, click Open.
    In the Look in list, click the drive or folder that contains the file you want to open, and then locate the folder that contains the file.
    In the Files of type list, click one of the following file types:
    If the file is in Microsoft Works format, click Microsoft Works 2.0 Files (*.wks).
    If the file is in Microsoft Excel file format, click Microsoft Excel Files (*.xl*;*.xls;*.xla;*.xlt;*.*.xlm; *.xlc;).
    If the file is in Lotus 1-2-3 format, click Lotus 1-2-3 Files (*.wk?).
    Double-click the file you want to open.

It said unrecognizable format and still came up with the symbols.... so I am assuming that my file is a Works 3.0 or 4.0 and Excel wont open it until I get Works and save file as type????

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

11. wurzel.e.k

wurzel.e.k

Hi all, I have office 2000 & I'm quite happy with it ,it's running on 64bit Vista. Any way my problem is I've been sent an e-mail with 2 WKS attachments, I trust this person, but just can't open the WKS files. any ideas, thanks.

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

If Excel can't open them, they may be corrupt or they may not really be .wks files.
    Just as a note, this thread should have been closed - note that the last post before yours was in March. You should really start a new thread. :)

13. wurzel.e.k

wurzel.e.k

To; slurpee55, many thanks for your help, these WKS e-mails came through today & I keyed in WKS & got this support line, sorry I didn't notice the date. Thanks again.

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

No problem. :)
    If you want to post one of the files (assuming they aren't confidential) we could see if anyone else can open them.

15. wurzel.e.k

wurzel.e.k

To slurpee55, Thanks, trouble is the e-mails are in an attachment & I can't access them, since I 've found out they are "works for windows" files & they are antique,I've heard of them, but not as WKS, which is what threw me, I'm not going to bother with them. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice