1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN Adapter Power/Sleep Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheWhiteKnight, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWhiteKnight

TheWhiteKnight Thread Starter

If I have my adapter set (Power Management) to not allow the computer to turn off the device to save power, will it still turn off / sleep when I put the computer itself to sleep?

I had a scare today where for the first time, I rebooted and my network card was unable to detect any networks whatsoever. Running the Dell WLAN Config Utility Diagnostic Hardware Test showed the device failing the last 2 tests:

1. Interrupt - This test verifies that the NDIS driver is able to receive interrupts from the network controller.
    2. DMA & Loopback - This test verifies that the NDIS driver is able to send packets and receive packets from the network controller.

Disabling and re-enabling the adapter both manually in XP and physically via the external switch failed to correct the issue. Luckily rebooting again did! I suspect it could have something to do with exiting my Bluetooth radio from fully loading during boot even though I always do that. Anyway I am worried about it because it's possible this is a warning of future hardware failure and if my adapter fails I will be screwed because I run online stores that require me to check my email often etc. and waiting a week to have a new card delivered would be hell. Failing to let things sleep and cool down (after days and days) such as my hdd has always come back to haunt me in the past.

Heat Stress + Electronics = Bad! ~ It worries me that so many places recommend just disabling it especially if it means that it won't ever get a "breather". Anyway I have it set back to allow my comp to turn it off as it was never even an issue to begin with. Can anyone shed some light on when exactly the system decides to turn it off? Is it fast to wake? Will it disconnect me from GTalk for example? Will it prevent calls from coming in on a GV Extension? Most importantly is it important for the life of the adapter to allow it to sleep?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice