WLAN Advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

silvershield

I currently have dial-up, and am switching over to broadband very soon. I am thinking about getting a wireless connections for all computers in the house (2 Desktop PCs, 1 Laptop). I looked on the BestBuy website, and you can get a "Super G" Wireless Router for about $70, and a PCI reciver, and a notebook card each for about $40. One desktop would be connected to the cable modem, and then to the wireless router. Would you recommend getting a "Super G" Router, or a regular 802.11g router. The connection speed for the cable modem connection is 8mbps download speed, and 512k upload. Any advice on what products to buy would be greatly appreciated.:)

TerryNet

Terry
I think the best buys these days are for regular 802.11g routers and adapters. Super G, speedbooster, pre-n, and the like are to get you to buy non-discounted until the real N equipment is available.

If you do get any of the speed booster stuff, stick with one manufacturer. The increased speed may be useful if you plan to transfer many large files among your computers.

Assuming you are in the US, the main brands are Belkin, Dlink, Linksys and Netgear. Some people say Linksys (Cisco) has better quality, and it seems to command ~$10 premium, but those 4 brands are pretty similar and interchangable.

silvershield

Also, i forgot to say, I was thinking about doing printer sharing (the printer is on the main desktop pc). Would this be possible using the WLAN?

silvershield said:
Also, i forgot to say, I was thinking about doing printer sharing (the printer is on the main desktop pc). Would this be possible using the WLAN?
Definately.

he linksys 54gs is great befor i moved me and my nabor shared internet it was at his house and we bought a 54gs repeater and i put it at my house to pick up his signal better never lost net sept when they stupidly unpluged the stuff. Note i lived over 400-500 feet away and could upload to his pc at 1000KB.

silvershield

So would you recommend Linksys or NetGear? (I went to Bestbuy yesterday, and they showed me the NetGear "Super G" and the Linksys 802.11g)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You'll need the capability to connect a wired machine to configure the wireless capability of the router, so I'd plan on that.

I hasten to point out, if you have multiple systems connection to a single 802.11g access point, local LAN operations like file sharing will be pretty slow. By the time you compute real throughput, and add encryption overhead, the actual throughput of an 802.11g connection is lucky to be 20mbit/sec, and that's under ideal conditions. Lower signal strength or any sort of interference will cut that down quickly.

Now, add in an extra wireless workstation, doing a file transfer to the first one. All 802.11g devices are contending for the same bandwidth, and they're all using half-duplex communications to boot. Transferring a data file between two wireless stations connecting to the same wireless router will be lucky to attain a 1mbyte/sec file transfer rate. If yet another station connects, that speed will suffer.

I normally recommend stationary machines be wired if at all possible. You'll have much better LAN performance, a lot less configuration issues, and of course the wire is much more secure. I reserve wireless for stuff like laptops that are portable.

john your wrong we had 4 pcs connected and im close to 500 feet away and i could upload at 1000KB to them 10MBit. Wireless has come a long way the linksys 54gs is nice.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No, I'm not wrong. :) 10mbit is half of what I was quoting one typical connection to be. Even though you have four computers connected, that doesn't mean they have saturated traffic all the time. Feel free to look around for benchmark results for 802.11g networks and point one out to me that proves my statements incorrect.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online