1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN card disappearing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcfee03, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

Hi, I have two computer set up to use file sharing with a D-Link DI-524 router and an Asus 167G adapter. They are both Windows XP sp2 and use the printer and internet sharing are working. Internet isn't stable when dowloading torrents etc but I think the solving this problem I've got may fix it as both problems started at the same time.

Whenever I browse shared folders FROM the wireless comp I get disconnected from the network and the WLAN card disappears. I have to move WLAN USB to another slot to get it to connect again. Browsing shared folders on the wired comp of the wireless folders works perfectly.

Please help me out here, it's very important! Thankyou

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I interpret your prose correctly you have a USB wireless adapter to which power is discontinued. If that is true, your adapter is drawing a little too much juice or your USB ports are supplying slightly less than they should.

It may work better on another computer. Or if it's on a battery powered laptop it may work better when the laptop is on AC.

If my reading between the lines is incorrect, please describe what you have and what happens. For instance, "WLAN card disappears" makes it sound like you have a PCMCIA or PCI or integrated adapter; and if it disappears I don't understand how you find it to move it somewhere else. :)

3. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

Ok, I"l try and explain it better. It's being used on a 2 month old PC (not a laptop).

I'll go and browse a folder from the wireless computer (using the the ASUS 167G USB).

After going through the folder (and sometimes the sub directory) explorer.exe freezes and I loose my connection to the network (thus internet).

When I go to the ASUS control centre to try and "reconnect" it says "WLAN card not found"

So, then I go to my computers tower and remove the USB from one slot and move it to another.

It must be network related as it only happens when I'l trying to browse folders on the network or download certain things (torrents etc)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It could be driver issues. Since you have a desktop, I'm not sure why you picked USB as an interface, it's my last choice for network connections.

5. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

I've just been looking at the ASUS website and I havn't been able to find any new drivers. Not sure why I got a USB card, what's so bad anyway?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the USB adapter have a LED that indicates that it is getting power? If so, does that LED go off at the same time you lose connection or does it remain on until you pull it out of the USB slot?

I have one combination Wi-Fi detector and USB adapter that, the little I've used it, works great. Previously I had an adapter that has the above problem and one that was DOA (and quickly returned for refund).

7. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

Yes, the light remains on when it disappears. I'm using the software that came with it now, and it has stopped disappearing but it still disconnects me all the time. To get it working I have to disable the radio then enable it again. It's happening now when I watch videos on youtube.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that you are using the wireless utility that came with it, make sure that WZC is not running.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Wireless Zero Configuration should not be started and its Startup Type should be 'disabled.'

Multiple wireless utilities will conflict, and often cause frequent disconnects.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice