1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN card not shown in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Networking' started by toni_oni, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toni_oni

toni_oni Thread Starter

My wlan card has been dodgy recently disconnecting and reconnecing but now does not work at all.
    It is no longer shown in device manager
    I installed the drivers for it from the disc that came with it and ones from the internet but no luck
    from what I've read online it says my laptop (advent 9617 - ancient i know) came with the Ralink RT73 USB Wireless.

It also keeps popping up "this device can perform faster is you connect to a high speed port"
    I took off the casing to have a look at it and I can't see any dodgy wires or connections unless its somewhere I can't see or get to. I just took it out and put it back in but no luck.

I can still get on through wired LAN but live in shared accomodation and it's a bit inconvenient when I'm trying to work. Oh and there's no router problems as my phone and housemates laptops connect fine.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this is a removable USB wireless device - correct ?

3. toni_oni

toni_oni Thread Starter

It is an internal wireless adapter. When it does appear in device manager for the very brief periods it is called "RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card #2" It's not just plugged into a usb port on the outside of the laptop (I know I sound like a cretin haha)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no not all all

If you have removed it - clean the contacts - a rubber (eraser) is good to do that with - just make sure its clean when you plug backin
    otherwise it sounds a little like its going intermittently faulty

5. toni_oni

toni_oni Thread Starter

It is working now for the first time in 2-3 weeks. Typical! But I only took it out and cleaned it about an hour ago so maybe that was the problem. If not I'll probably be back and then realise I just need a new computer. Thanks for your help :)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    or you can buy a USB wirless adapter
    cleaning can be an issue - often noted by TerryNet posts

7. toni_oni

toni_oni Thread Starter

Yeah I know about the adapters but I don't want to waste money on something so old and the insurance for it runs out in April so might as well get a new laptop.
    If anyone has had this problem and it's just a case of wiring let me know I probably could figure it out

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice