1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN Disabled for me too.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dipp, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dipp

Dipp Thread Starter

I hope it's okay if I butt in!

I have the exact same problem. Under Network Adapters it shows only NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

I've run an Ipconfig /all in advance, and this is the result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\BusinessName>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [business name]
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-2C-8E-DB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{D4ABC47E-9BE6-4321-94FA-2EE670B2A
    6AA}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Any thoughts?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Dipp, you're not butting in--nobody has posted in 4 days. But, for help please start your own thread (or look for JohnWill to split this off for you).

3. Dipp

Dipp Thread Starter

Ok, I've got my own thread now, thanks! :)

Also, there are no marks next to any of the items in the devmgmt list. Any advice is most gratefully appreciated.

DiPP ^-^

4. Dipp

Dipp Thread Starter

Well, after installing new network drivers with no luck, I called Compaq tech support who advised me to update the BIOS drivers and all seems to be well again. Not sure what happened - the BIOS drivers installed and the computer restarted but I still had the same problem. Compaq decided it was a hardware problem and arranged to have someone pick up the laptop. I left the computer on, went out for dinner, came back a few hours later and the blue wireless light was back on and the Internet is now back in full swing. I'm assuming the BIOS update did the trick.
    Odd little problem, disappeared as strangely as it started.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ghosts! :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

6. Dipp

Dipp Thread Starter

No, I wish!

Wasn't the BIOS that fixed it. I started my laptop this morning and once again - no WLAN light. The Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN had disappeared from the device management list again also.

Fortunately, I hadn't cancelled the repair pick up, and am told that a new wireless card will be installed next week. So I'd suggest that anyone else having this problem with a Compaq Presario might also consider that a faulty WLAN card is the likely culprit.

Thanks anyway. I'll be sure and come back if I run into any other problems!

DiPP ^_^

7. Dipp

Dipp Thread Starter

PLEASE, can somebody here help me? I'm DESPERATE.

To rehash:

* My WLAN disappeared. Broadcom 802.11b/g completely vanished from my device management list. Reinstalled drivers and BIOS, nothing helped.

* HP decided it was a hardware issue and the wireless card needed replacing. While waiting for the part to arrive, I was using the laptop and suddenly the Broadcom 802.11b/g reinstalled itself and started working. However, when I rebooted the computer it had gone again. Nothing could convince it to reappear.

* Until the night before I took it in to get the new card. While I was making the recommended recovery disk, the Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN suddenly reinstalled itself again. When I took it into the repair centre, it worked again. They replaced the card anyway.

* Once I got it home and started it up, it worked fine.

* Until I rebooted the computer, and again, no network adapter.

* I tried reinstalling all drivers again and restarted the computer. I'd forgotten that the System Recovery disk was in the drive when I started the computer, and it began loading the System Recovery process. I cancelled it, but when the computer loaded up, the WLAN was working again.

* I thought it was because I'd reinstalled the drivers, until I rebooted the computer again, and again, no WLAN.

* So I started the computer with the System Recovery disk in, but cancelled it and restarted the computer. WLAN working. Rebooted the computer normally, no WLAN. Started with System Recovery again, working.

* Contacted HP about the problem. They insist it's a hardware problem and must be sent in for diagnostics, and that's the only help they would give.

I just don't see how it can be a hardware problem if it will work once it gets a boost. It's like the computer has amnesia, and forgets it has a WLAN until it looks through the system and goes, "Oh, that's right, there's a network adapter here. I'll install it again."

This is SO incredibly FRUSTRATING! I just want a reliable internet connection. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make this stupid computer stop forgetting that it has a wireless network card??

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sorry, but I believe HP is correct, and you'll probably have to give them the computer to fix it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice