1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN disabled

Discussion in 'Networking' started by notsmart913, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notsmart913

notsmart913 Thread Starter

I put my computer in sleep mode for a couple hours, and when I went back later that night, the WLAN (wireless?) networking was disconnected. It says that wireless internet is not enabled, but the switch on the side of the computer (Compaq) has never been touched and the light was always blue. Now, no matter which position the switch is in, there's an organge light, and I tried to open the HP Wireless assistant program/icon and nothing shows up. Is this a computer error or a Vista problem? Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a hardware problem--bad switch, failed adapter, or a loose connection.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

4. notsmart913

Thank you so much for the reply, sorry I didn't see it until now! Here's the info:

1. Network adapters: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    2. No red x's anywhere
    3. Everything listed looks good, not a single ?, ! or X.

Thank you very much!

5. notsmart913

Actually, I don't know exactly at what point during that look up I did, the internet kicked up again and it's working! I have absolutely no idea! Thank you very very very much! :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We scared it into submission. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

7. notsmart913

Hi, I'm so incredibly sorry, but I totally figured out why my laptop is doing this....last time this happened, I put my computer to sleep and when I came back, that was when the internet stopped working. I did the same thing today, and again, I can't get the wireless internet back :( I tried going back to that Network managers place you told me about earlier, and there's actually only the NVIDIA listed under that, and no more of the WLAN. Are there any other steps I can take to fix this? Thanks so much!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Slightly modifying my previous opinion: Sounds like a hardware problem--bad switch, intermittently failing adapter, or a loose connection.

It is not unusual after Sleep or Hibernation to not be able to reconnect (wired or wireless) until after a restart. But it's very unique to have the adapter play peek-a-boo like yours is doing.

Does it come back completely randomly? Or is there something that seems to bring it back to life, like a restart, or complete shutdown and then boot, or a good swift kick?

EDIT: Forget that last paragraph. I just realized this is only the 2nd disappearance, and it's still hiding.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice