1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN Problems. Requesting help of computing Demi-God. Think you're up to it?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theboxman, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

Hey folks,

Firstly a big Hello! on this new board. I'm getting the idea I'm going to love this place.

Here's the question:

Yesterday I tweaked something on one of my Dell laptops. I suspect that while playing with the services to try and squeeze a tiny wee bit more resources out of the system and improve my boot speeds I've disabled something critical to my intel wifi card (it's using windows to manage it mind you).

Here are the symptoms:

The card says 'Not Connected'. When I open up the window to scan for available networks it can't see any. My other laptop *can* see the settings.

I've gone back through the services and tried to enable anything that looks like it could be the problem. No luck yet. It's driving me up the wall as I can't access the net through it (and it's stopping me streaming music over the net tot my PDA!).

All help much appreciated! Best be quick though before I throw my computer out of my third story window in a fit of frustration! ;) ;) :D

Thanks folks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's an integrated wireless adapter is it switched on? The blue wireless LED is on? If not, toggle it on with the Fn + F2 key combination and see if any networks can be detected.

3. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

Nope I've already tried that. Also Bluetooth is on and functional and they are both switched on and off together by Fn +F2.....so It can't be that....

Any other thoughts?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 6000.

I'm certain this isn't the problem. It's working fine for all other computers via the router. It's a Scientific Atlanta (cisco) 2100.

It's non-interlaced. I'm also certain it's functioning correctly. All other computers are recieving their IP by DHCP from it. It's pingable from every other computer on the network and I'm using it right now to post to you ;)

Wireless via Belkin Wireless G AP plugged into the router. Setup worked fine before I tweaked the services so I've got a good idea where the problem lies. The network is running WEP (many of my homebrew PSP apps don't support more secure encryption - and yes it's legal as I'm running original 1.50 firmware.) ).

Given above.

XP Pro SP2.

There are no error messages. The wireless simply fails to detect any networks despite wireless sniffing and other computers detecting at least 5 other networks (it used to pick up these networks too before I went on a resource improving service tune).

What happens is this:

Wireless displays 'Not conencted'. I open up the 'view available wireless networks' window and tell it to refresh. It finds nothing. There are many networks there. It used to get a wireless signal in the precise position it's in now. My other laptop picks up multiple networks.

[/quote]On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL[/quote]

I already checked out ipconfig and pinged the router. No joy. It's not making a connection in the first place... (I'm familiar with the 'Not Connected' error when the machine is in fact connected after disabling the 'Wirless Zero Configuration' service - it's definately not that problem). The connection also works fine if I use a wire. Without the wire the computer does not connect to the local network and hence does not connect to the internet (i.e. it's not that it's working on the local network but just not reaching the net. It can't ping the router, it can't ping any other machines on the network, and it doesn't have an IP address asigned to it. Manually asigning one on the correct subnet also does nothing).

I'd copy the output across on my PSP memory stick for you anyway but I left it in my gf's house so I'll need to wait until tomorrow for that.

Lastly here are the specs of the latitude 6000 to save you searching:

Dell Inspiron 6000 D Specs:

* 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 730 (Sonoma), 533MHz FSB and PCIe x16 chipset
    * 15.4 inch WSXGA+ LCD Panel (Samsung)
    * 512 MB DDR2 400 MHz ram
    * 60 GB Ultra ATA Fujitsu 4200rpm hard drive
    * 64 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X300
    * Microsoft Windows XP Home
    * 24x CD-RW/DVD (Sony)
    * Intel 2200 b/g internal wireless card
    * 6-cell lithium ion battery
    * 4 USB ports
    * 1 IEEE 1394 FireWire port
    * Secure Digital I/O card slot
    * 1 PCMCIA card slot
    * 2 front facing speakers
    * VGA output
    * Optional S-Video and composite video out with adaptor cable
    * Audio-out (headphones) and Mic-in
    * Integrated 10/100 network Ethernet card
    * Internal 56k modem

Thanks for your help!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I sure don't see the version and patch level of Windows in your post. Also, it's really not sufficient that you "looked" at the IPCONFIG and deemed it good, we'd also like to look at it.

If you don't want to supply the requested information, that's fine, but it affects the quality of the answers you get.

7. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

It's Windows XP Pro SP 2 as for other patches I've installed no others and have auto-update turned off. I'm not sure where to find out any more detailed info than I've given you. (too much hastle watching keeping it up to date - especially since I use ubuntu a lot of the time anyway - and I'm not about to let it go auto as M$ will doubtless install all their DRM evilness as a feature upgrade.)

As for IPconfig. I'd give it to you right now if it didn't involve copying it out by hand heading in here and typing it all up again. I should be able to post up the results from it tomorrow(when I'll be able to transfer it to a memory stick and copy it to this computer). I doubt it will help though.

I'm about 90% sure the problem is something to do with the services running on the computer....

Thanks for your help.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Setup worked fine before I tweaked the services so I've got a good idea where the problem lies."

Then look through the services and see if there are any tweaked ones that could be causing the problem. I can think of half a dozen that could affect your networking, but can't think of anything except WZC or another WLAN client that could be involved with the current problem.

I use the Intel Proset utility instead of WZC for the same adapter you have. In the Startup tab of msconfig I see two Intel tasks--ZCfgSvc and ifrmewrk. Surely one of these is to get Proset going, but the other may be just for the adapter even if WZC is used? If you tweaked either of these while tweaking services, maybe that's your problem.

It won't hurt, and could help, to go into Device Manager and uninstall the Intel wireless adapter and then reinstall it. While you're at it you might just as well make sure you have the latest driver from Dell's web site (maybe you did that, but I don't feel like reviewing yet again).

9. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

Following TerryNet's ideas I've finally made some progress. It's still not working though. Firstly add remove device didn't work (good idea though!) and has left my connections all renumbered (Wireless Network Connection 3) after two attempts....still good try!

Here's what's happened:

I hunted around and found the intel programs for managing the wifi card (I've not been using them in ages as I don't like them). I started it up.

Then clicked to let it take over wifi from windows.

Instantly I thought the problem had been solved. I saw about 8 wireless networks one of which was my own.

I clicked connect and gave it my password.

It appeared to have conencted....however the 'limited or no connectivity' error (the one with the Yellow ! sign) appeared in the bottom corner.

Dag Namnit. That usually means it failed to get an IP address by DHCP.....

So I right clicked the connection and chose repair. long wait. Same problem. I checked ipconfig - no IP addresses asigned.

In the hope that it had tweaked some service or other, or that enabling the windows wifi management would do so I switched back to windows - which still can't find any networks - defeated I've returned to intel and am frantically scratching my head.

I'll try assigning myself a static IP address on the right subnet and specifying the gateway and see if that works....I'm not hopeful though.....

Thanks Terry - that's the closest I've got it to working again yet!

Anyone any other bright ideas? ;)

UPDATE - I asigned a static IP address 192.168.1.5, on subnet 255.255.255.0, with gateway 192.168.1.1 (all of which is fine). The connection logo lost the 'limited or no conenctivity' icon....However, the computer is not on the network and the router is unpingable.....

10. jmwills

jmwills

Add a DNS entry to match that of the routers address.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let me stress that you want the latest Intel driver and utility from DELL's web site. Use your Service Tag to make the search less painful.

Disable encryption on the router and see if you can get a connection that way. If that works usually connecting with encryption then goes smoothly.

12. theboxman

theboxman Thread Starter

sorry i've been having exam and have put my computer problems in the back burner. Are you saying that disabling encryption attempting to reconnect and then re-enabling it again might fix it?

As for drivers it's difficult transfering drivers onto it....

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, dumb as it may sound, that little dance of disable encryption, connect, re-enable encryption, reconnect often works. "Often" does not mean "always."

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!